Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM
undead455 undead455 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 37
Default 5.0 engine swap brick wall

I have been researching the 5.0 swap I have come to a road block. I understand 5.0 Explorers are harder to find so I was looking to go the Mustang route. One problem, I have a 1995 Ranger with OBD II (EEC-V confirmed) but 1995 Mustangs were EEC I. In 1996 when the Mustang was converted to OBD II the engine changed to a 4.6. Is their a way around this or would it be easier to go carb (no computer) with re wire (already have a wiring kit from another project.). Thanks for any light that can be shed.
__________________
1995 Ford Ranger Supercab 2dr
2WD, 5.0L in progress, AOD Automatic, Tonneau cover, 16" Explorer mags, Altezza Style Tails, White Sport-Trac gauges, B&M Floor shift
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 5.0 engine swap brick wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead455 View Post
I have been researching the 5.0 swap I have come to a road block. I understand 5.0 Explorers are harder to find so I was looking to go the Mustang route. One problem, I have a 1995 Ranger with OBD II (EEC-V confirmed) but 1995 Mustangs were EEC I. In 1996 when the Mustang was converted to OBD II the engine changed to a 4.6. Is their a way around this or would it be easier to go carb (no computer) with re wire (already have a wiring kit from another project.). Thanks for any light that can be shed.
Actually there is. I've been browsing through my Edlebrock catalog. I would recomend going with a carbed motor first cause you might like it better. They do have a Proflo 2 MPFI kit for carbed motors. It's a complete kit that gives you the traditional look of a carb, but modern drivability of today and it's not too bad price wise either. I would look into that. And best of all IT'S A PLUG AND PLAY SETUP.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Psychopete Psychopete is offline
Psycho Pete
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,489
Default Re: 5.0 engine swap brick wall

Here's info on the exp swap:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...-97_ranger.htm

Biggest thing is going to be the harness, hard to say what way you should go though. Other stuff can be pieced together...

My 5.0L was an 87 engine, has 96exp heads, different reverse flow timing cover, different water pump (single serpentine), 4bbl intake, etc etc etc. I think the only thing that isn't different is the block, crank and rods - and even the rods have ARP rod bolts installed.

Last edited by Psychopete; 04-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 5.0 engine swap brick wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopete View Post
Here's info on the exp swap:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...-97_ranger.htm

Biggest thing is going to be the harness, hard to say what way you should go though. Other stuff can be pieced together...
I have to agree man cause that was the hardest thing to deal with on an S10 swap.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Teddyzee Teddyzee is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: 5.0 engine swap brick wall

It was very simple to graft a pre-93 Mustang (OBDI) harness into my 1997 Ranger. Everything about the truck works like stock.

Google Harwood Performance for a step-by-step manual.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2011, 12:38 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 5.0 engine swap brick wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyzee View Post
It was very simple to graft a pre-93 Mustang (OBDI) harness into my 1997 Ranger. Everything about the truck works like stock.

Google Harwood Performance for a step-by-step manual.

That looks awesome! If I didn't know any better I'd swear it was stock.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
wyman00 wyman00 is offline
5.0 ranger!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 551
Default Re: 5.0 engine swap brick wall

Welcome to FRF Ted!
__________________
2000 2wd Ext cab with explorer 5.0

Mods so far:
Explorer ohc and lighted visors, Mustang dome light with LED's, In channel vent visors, Explorer sport trac guages, White faceplate for a/c controls, 8.8 ls rearend with 3:29 gears, 302 swap, coil spacers, 3" body lift, Westin step bars, A.R.E. topper with roof racks, 33x12.50x15 firestone destination a/t's, 8 hole american racing rims.

My build thread--> http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ger-build.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear wall net CrimeStar Interior Tech 0 09-07-2010 08:16 AM
Photo Week 1 l Fly on the wall. Dcrymes99ranger Photography 0 07-22-2010 08:25 PM
Plasma Wall Mount ?'s bugz1racing Music/Movies/Computers/etc. 3 03-25-2010 03:59 AM
engine rebuild. or engine swap smsranger Other Engine Tech 13 03-15-2010 08:08 PM
black wall or white letter? TGDKY Wheels and Tires 17 02-06-2010 07:09 PM