Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Hey all. Been searching forums for a while now but just haven't posted. Got nearly everything (I think) figured out for this 3.0 to 5.0 swap. One thing I'm still lost on though is what headers to go with for this swap. Planning on getting some pro-comp 190cc heads, was advised to use Tri-y SN95 headers since they're 1 5/8", so what would you guys recommend specifically? Got a few more questions but wanna start with this
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-11-2016, 08:12 AM
win win is online now
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 169
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Only headers that are bolt in are Torque Monsters, OBX and the long out of production Ford Performance Parts.

Torque Monsters have VERY spotty availability and iffy customer service. OBX has limited availability.

No good answer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Only headers that are bolt in are Torque Monsters, OBX and the long out of production Ford Performance Parts.

Torque Monsters have VERY spotty availability and iffy customer service. OBX has limited availability.

No good answer.
OBX for a 2000 explorer correct? I had found some but don't remember where now
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Rangerdaddy Rangerdaddy is offline
Danger 5.0
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,308
Default

Call obx directly, they are 2/3 the price of torque monsters and the same quality from the pics I've seen and heard. You'll see em pop up on eBay from time to time. Still they are 450 or 500 vs the 800 TM wants.
__________________
99 xlt, 5.0, torsion bars cranked, 4" body lift, 33" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x10 American racing 5 spoke rims, 2004 ranger edge seats, buggman LEDs in dash, Aussie locker in front, 8.8 with discs and mini spool in rear, blue led underglow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaddy View Post
Call obx directly, they are 2/3 the price of torque monsters and the same quality from the pics I've seen and heard. You'll see em pop up on eBay from time to time. Still they are 450 or 500 vs the 800 TM wants.
Got a number to call them directly? Shot them an email but haven't heard back and it's been a while. Looks like I might just bite the bullet and have someone custom make me some at this point. Bout the only thing I haven't been able to find yet for this swap.

What is it exactly that I'm going to have to tell Ford for the reprogramming? Just what the computer was pulled out of for this motor?

Side note; I had a screw fall out onto my shoe when I was about to put my truck in gear a few days ago. It was for the gear shift lever. Now it's all funky and doesn't click like it should; anyone know about where this bolt needs to go? I'd prefer to have to mess with the dash as little as possible lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Rangerdaddy Rangerdaddy is offline
Danger 5.0
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,308
Default

Wow, ya they don't have a number. Most places have a number where you could actually call someone.... I've heard tons of people have emailed them and heard nothing.. Sucks, bc just about 2 months ago there were a bunch on eBay and then they disappeared. Some will say that you find TM once in a while, but I have yet to find a pair! Lol! As far as ford, are you talking about to get the keys reprogrammed to the expo computer? For that you just need the keys, PATS module and ignition from the expo to put into the ranger. Plug and play for the 98-01s.
__________________
99 xlt, 5.0, torsion bars cranked, 4" body lift, 33" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x10 American racing 5 spoke rims, 2004 ranger edge seats, buggman LEDs in dash, Aussie locker in front, 8.8 with discs and mini spool in rear, blue led underglow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 AM
NoPower NoPower is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,754
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

I wouldn't bother with any header on a ranger. I got long tube headers on my sons Elcamino and I HATE them.
__________________
Myrtle: & Danna
1999 Ranger 4x4 3.0 Stepside Ext Cab XLT
2000 Mustang 4.6 Roush Supercharged ( Show Car )
1984 Elcamino 350 330 HP ( Nick's Show Car )
1959 Wife ( Arm Candy )
Danna passed away 5/26/2016
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaddy View Post
Wow, ya they don't have a number. Most places have a number where you could actually call someone.... I've heard tons of people have emailed them and heard nothing.. Sucks, bc just about 2 months ago there were a bunch on eBay and then they disappeared. Some will say that you find TM once in a while, but I have yet to find a pair! Lol! As far as ford, are you talking about to get the keys reprogrammed to the expo computer? For that you just need the keys, PATS module and ignition from the expo to put into the ranger. Plug and play for the 98-01s.
Am I able to just take the components to ford, or would I have to have them in vehicle? Would prefer to tow this the least amount of places possible lol. Probably just going to have some headers made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPower View Post
I wouldn't bother with any header on a ranger. I got long tube headers on my sons Elcamino and I HATE them.
Reasoning? I'll loose quite a bit of power if I stick to stock. Not gonna happen haha she's gotta breathe! Not spending $ on alum heads just to be held back by exhaust. I don't have long tube but on my 73 nova I love my headers. Flow master the rest of the way
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
djfllmn djfllmn is offline
ford dealer parts guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20,770
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default

Ford with the vehicle. They need to plug in. And that's just for the PATS system
__________________
2016 F150 Supercrew XLT 5.0
1968 Ford Thunderbird Tudor 429 Thunderjet V8

(Click for Project Log)

traded-2007 F150 XLT Supercab 5.4
Sold:03 Sonic Blue FX4 Steppie 4.0SOHC 5spd
ranger free since 6/15/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
These threads make me feel better about myself....
Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
Welcome to the internet, if this is your first visit to it I suggest you stock up on a lot of preparation h cause you gonna be butt hurt a lot
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Rangerdaddy Rangerdaddy is offline
Danger 5.0
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donrod View Post
Am I able to just take the components to ford, or would I have to have them in vehicle? Would prefer to tow this the least amount of places possible lol. Probably just going to have some headers made. Reasoning? I'll loose quite a bit of power if I stick to stock. Not gonna happen haha she's gotta breathe! Not spending $ on alum heads just to be held back by exhaust. I don't have long tube but on my 73 nova I love my headers. Flow master the rest of the way
well, if you're goin to go with headers, don't stick with the way they are routed now. Get you some long tube headers and run it on the outside of the frame.. Or throw a bunch of money at having custom headers made only to have them be just a little Better than stock manifolds. The tubular manifolds flow just as good (and some say better) than any header on the market. I've never seen em side by side on a dyno to know, just what I've heard.
__________________
99 xlt, 5.0, torsion bars cranked, 4" body lift, 33" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x10 American racing 5 spoke rims, 2004 ranger edge seats, buggman LEDs in dash, Aussie locker in front, 8.8 with discs and mini spool in rear, blue led underglow.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 AM
rangeredge2014 rangeredge2014 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 220
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

http://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/5679355961.html

----------

Here is a set of torque monster headers for sale
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaddy View Post
well, if you're goin to go with headers, don't stick with the way they are routed now. Get you some long tube headers and run it on the outside of the frame.. Or throw a bunch of money at having custom headers made only to have them be just a little Better than stock manifolds. The tubular manifolds flow just as good (and some say better) than any header on the market. I've never seen em side by side on a dyno to know, just what I've heard.
Really? Guess I could start with them and see how they are. I'm going aftermarket heads though...will those work since the stock are P heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeredge2014 View Post
http://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/5679355961.html

----------

Here is a set of torque monster headers for sale
Tempting but $750 lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM
rangeredge2014 rangeredge2014 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 220
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

I think they work wit gt-40 or gt-40p heads
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeredge2014 View Post
I think they work wit gt-40 or gt-40p heads
Then it's safe to say that, unless the aftermarket heads have identical exhaust ports, they wont work. Looks like no matter what I'm either going to have to have headers made or just buy some TM's. What's a good asking price for them


EDIT: these aftermarket heads have stock port locations. Sweet.

Last edited by Donrod; 07-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Donrod Donrod is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Default Re: 2000 3.0 ranger v8 swap

Anybody got another suggestion for headers before I pick these TM's up? Not gonna go with stock manifold.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 4.0 ranger to a 2000 5.0 explorer swap 2000 ranger 4.0 8-Cylinder Tech 11 02-16-2016 01:46 PM
3.0 to 4.0 swap in a 2000 ranger fordboy888 Introduce Yourself 0 07-17-2014 06:10 AM
2000 ranger v8 swap rangerwheelinmike 8-Cylinder Tech 35 11-24-2013 09:56 PM
5.0 swap into 2000 ranger Jobno03 8-Cylinder Tech 7 04-05-2013 07:35 PM
2000 ranger 5.0 swap???'ss mxer_69_biker Fabrication and Tool Tech 7 01-29-2013 09:40 AM