Thread: turbo V6?
View Single Post

Old 03-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Lovin' the Ranger

Default Re: turbo V6?

Well, actually the turbo route would be more expensive than a supercharger. Turbo's are built to give certain power numbers to certain engine sizes, DO NOT assume that because a 2.5 Liter Dodge Neon SRT-4's turbo surely will put that engine in the 200+HP range, but the issue is that your engine and mine are both much larger than that and the turbo would not be able to produce the numbers that would be sufficient without completely blowing the motor.

I've been talking and debating the idea(s) of forced induction on my 3L, or just swapping a 4.0L or 5.0L for a few months and still havn't made my decision. I jumped the gun awhile ago and purchased a used turbo off an Evo' and an intercooler from a TurboCoupe Thunderbird but after talking it over with a dyno guy he pointed out that the turbo though great for an Evo would not do what I expect for my Ranger. Because certain turbo's produce certain powers for certain engine sizes. And the turbo sizes needed for a 3L and up are well...in the 500-900 dollar range.

So the alternative would be to supercharge it. Because all you need is an M90/M112, a lower intake manifold and mounting plate for the SC and an intercooler. And this is just to mount it up, with a turbo you need the piping, intercooler, turbo, custom manifold, BOV, etc. And obviously you need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, custom tune, and lots of dyno time since all of it would be custom.

A 5L swap is about the same price as a supercharger with just as much fabrication involved, so it's up to the user as to what route they want. Except that's not considering if you rebuild the engine and transmission. I personally think a supercharged V6 would be a lot more unique and somewhat more ''sneaky'' than a 5L. And before making your choice, talk to someone who's actually built something, because you can be steered in a lot of directions by listening to people who ''knew a guy that knew a guy who also knew a cousin that knew a guy'' and do A LOT OF RESEARCH.

I've spent 2 months alone researching superchargers, fabrication costs, and all the stuff needed for a 5L swap.

Mods: CAI, exhaust, tune, ported/polished heads,, ported/honed intake manifold, 3.73 Limited slip differential, Pyle double din head unit, kicker TSV10 subwoofer, Hifonics 800W amplifier, 18'' Forged Ravage series wheels, Kumho tires, blue colored cluster, under dash interior lighting, Rhino liner, tow hitch and Pioneer door speakers. Hopes and dreams.