View Single Post

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: PATS? Will turn over but not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Trendz View Post
Buying this truck I knew that I would have to fix a few things which was no problem but I have a problem that I cant solve. My 99 ranger will turn over but not start. It cranks over and after about 4 seconds of turning over the theft light starts flashing quickly. The weird thing is that I have tried starting it about 2 dozen times over the past week with the same results except for the other night it started. Then again in the morning it would just turn over and not start. Here is what I have and what I have done.

99 ranger
3 body lift
3 suspension lift
new battery
new starter
all fuses are good

I have done alot of reading and most people refer to PATS. The safey control system. I'm thinking that my key has gone bad. With that I have bought a new key with a chip in it but didn't get it programmed to see what result I would get. When I put the new key in nothing happens, its wont even turn over. If I had a second person around I could have them start the vehicle making sure Im getting signal to the coil pack.

I guess I don't see why it started and now it wont. What I was having issues with was my shift linkage between the shifter and transmission broke and I replaced that. That night I started my truck 10 times with no isses and had no prior starting issues. The next morning is when it wouldn't start with the current symptoms.

Thanks in advance
I am no expert on the PATS module, however on the 95's+ I thought that was part of the "starter control circuit" meaning iif the pats was not working the truck would not crank at all.

here is a link where you can get an owners manual it explains all the anti-theft crap
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...159299&width=0

I would test for fuel and spark.I also would test for any codes?

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).