View Single Post

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default 96 Ranger 2.3 four cyl. won't start

My truck fired up the other day, running fine, and I drove it about 200 yards. It quit with absolutely no warning, like someone turned off the key. It would not re-fire.
I had it towed home so I could work on it, ($129,).
Next day, after calling work to tell them I was stuck at home, I went to work on it.
I first thought it was the fuel pump, so I dropped the driveshaft and fuel tank. Pulled the fuel pump and connected it to voltage, it ran fine, so I put it back in the tank, but did not reinstall the tank, yet.
I heard about tool rentals from auto parts stores, and, since I didn't want to throw parts at it, or buy a fuel pump tester I'd use probably once...
I went to the local AutoZone and rented a fuel pressure test kit, $149.95 deposit, plus tax, BUT, I get it back when I return it. NO RENTAL FEE!
Anyway, i connected it to the schrader valve on the injector rail. It went up to 40 lbs pressure when I cranked the key. It's getting, and holding fuel pressure, but still won't fire up!
Turned out I saved $110. on a replacement fuel pump, so far.
NEXT:
Since one coil pack is about a year old, I think it highly unlikely that both coil packs are bad, causing no spark.
Could the crankshaft position sensor be the culprit, since it was running perfectly, then just quit?
Only thing is, on my 96 Ranger, 2.3 four cylinder, I have to remove the air cleaner assy., the alternator belt, alternator, THEN drain my coolant and remove water hoses JUST TO GET TO THE THING!!!
Is there anything I can do before I go through all of that?
I'd sure hate to go through that process, remove and replace it, and it isn't the problem.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is what are the chances of this being the problem part?