Thread: Any ideas?
View Single Post

Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Red Solo Truck

Default Any ideas?

I installed my amp over the last couple days (Boss r1004) it's a 4-channel amp but for now I am just using it for my back speakers, and only using two of the channels. Idk if that matters. But I got all of the wires ran, hooked everything up, got it grounded, turned my truck on, and the speakers were crackling and popping, and you could faintly hear the music.

I played with everything, checked all my wires for polarity, checked the ground, played with the gains on the amp, played with the settings on my stereo, and it helped a little. Now the speakers mostly static when the bass hits on a song. And now it seems like the gains aren't doing anything either. And the speakers sound better with the amp turned off.

My only idea is that maybe I used a bad wire coming off the head unit for the remote? I have no idea otherwise. The rca's are running along with the power wire, but they are both well insulated and I didn't think this would be a problem. If anybody thinks that this is why I am having a problem, I can re-route the power wire, but it will be a pain in the ass. So I want to be sure before I try this.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Ok, so over the last week I have done a few things, got rid of all the static, the speakers sound good, the fade doesn't affect anything, and the gains work properly. Now the only problem I am having is that there is a noise coming from the speakers. I have been told it is alternator whine/ground loop. I still need to track down the problem, but I believe it is the RCA cables because the noise does not vary with the rpm's. I am going to try a few things once the weather clears up (I live in Colorado and we just got hammered with snow). If I cannot fix the problem myself, I am going to buy a ground loop isolator. And if that doesn't work, I will eventually invest in some quality RCA cables.

I thought I would just write this so new people looking at the thread can know what I am dealing with now, not my original problem.

Last edited by Ford92Ranger; 02-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.