View Single Post

Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Like the Forums

Default Re: 2.3l oil leak on bottom of oil pan

I bought what turned out to be a sadly neglected 93 2.3 5 speed.
When I crawled under and looked around before buying, I saw the usual small drops
of oil on various places near the back of the pan, but no drips on the ground.
I got it home and changed oil, and the next morning there was a 3' puddle of oil
under the back of the engine. Hard to tell where it was coming from.

Cleaned it off and watched, was coming from between the engine and trans, so I thought rear main seal.

Truck had been sitting nose down in a slanted driveway. That was why it didn't "show" there.

Pulled the trans, the seal was fine. The leak was coming from between the pan and the bottom of the rear seal retainer, at the bottom of the "curve". Sort of looked like somebody had been jacking with it, black silicone at the rear of the pan rails by the rear seal retainer / cap. But there was at least a 1/8" gap between the pan and the seal retainer. Not having the equipment to pull the motor where I'm at (1700 miles from home on a power plant project), I had to come up with something to try to stop the leak.

First, I snugged the pan bolts, but be careful not to over tighten!

To seal that gap, I sprayed it out real good with carb spray after draining enuf oil out of the pan so the oil level was below that gap. Then dried it with "canned air" like you use to clean dust out of a computer. Did that 2 or 3 times, letting it dry good even after blowing the carb spray out.

Then took some red hi temp silicone and squeezed into the gap - couldn't see for sure but it seemed th gap was maybe as much as 1/4" or more deep. Filled the gap, working it in good, and let it dry. Then the next day put another layer over the top.

So far no more leaks. (!)

With 80k miles on the truck, I put in a new clutch & t/o bearing and pilot bearing when I had the trans out. Sanded the flywheel with a sanding block and fine emery paper, it was OK.

Rock Auto online is a very good place to buy parts, the clutch stuff was nearly 1/4th cheaper than A Zone, even with shipping, and I got the parts clear out in Vegas in just 4 days.

Last edited by macx; 01-01-2012 at 01:43 AM.