Thread: heater problems
View Single Post

Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: heater problems

I noticed an earlier post that talks about the blend door actuator and the HeaterTreater solution. First -- all the referenced models do not have a motor driven door. My 2000 Ranger has the manual (two cables) linkage. I have some pictures if anyone is interested. Second, I highly recommend the folks at HeaterTreater. I had ordered their fix before removing the actuator. Their response was to simply ask me to return the kit for a full refund. Can't beat that for customer care.

In my case, the problem was the heater control valve, located in the top hose. It is a vacuum activated valve and APPEARED to be working fine. Check this valve first, it is the more likely problem area and by far the earier to check. In my case, the linkage moved OK and the diaphram would hold a vacuum. This created a bit of confusion in terms of diagnosis which is why I purchased the HeaterTreater kit. When I actually examined it, the valve was stuck closed and the butterfly had broken loose from the linkage attached to the vacuum chamber. Replaced the valve, worked fine.

Lessons, look at the heater control valve first. Then check the blend door control, if there are two lines (look like wires) leading away from the actuator on top of the plenum, you have a manual door that the liklihood that it is your problem is minimal. I have heard, but can not confirm, that you must have a totally full radiator to get hot water circulation. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it is something easy to check.

Good luck....

2000 Ranger, 3.0 V-6.