View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Psycho Pete

Default Re: I need help with my 1984 Ranger long bed 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by short591 View Post
I have a 1984 Ford Ranger long bed 4x4 lifted 4 inches. I am wanting to do a 302 swap and I dont know what the best way to go about it is to cheaply perform the swap
Cheap takes more time, planning and using used parts. Everything in this thread has been answered before and all of the information you need exists either on the internet or in V8 Ranger swap books. You will need to do more research.

Quote:
I know I dont not want to switch to a fuel injected set up and I want to keep my 4 speed transmission so how would I go about accomplishing what I want.
So run a carb setup then. All you have to do is swap the intakes and distributor (but pay attention to what engine, that will dictate what distributor to use, don't want a distributor from a flat tappet being turned by a roller cam). You don't want a stock Ranger 4spd behind a V8. You want to use a V8 transmission with a V8 engine. The bellhousing pattern is different, and you'd need to find an expensive adapter to use a transmission that's not up for the task. It is not a good idea to do.

Quote:
I dont know if I would have to change out the driveshaft or not
Most likely it will need shortened or lengthened, and possibly yoke change. I just had a new one made as my 20 year old drive shaft was that; a 20 year old drive shaft.