View Single Post

Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Almost ******

Default Re: Electric Vehicles.....

i think they're awesome for people like my dad, who work about a mile from home, and on a day to day basis doesn't go farther than 10 miles from home/work. most of the time he walks to work unless he has something to carry in with him, otherwise he drives.

since we live on a UC with a bunch of engineering type, there have been a bunch of EVs around. my neighbor did a trial of the Toyota eCom (i think that was what it was called) a few years back, maintenance crews use electric cars including golf carts, GEMs, Ford Think, some little mini van things, small payload trucks, Toyota Rav4, and Ford Rangers.

For these two situations, they're fantastic. no need to travel far, there are charging stations all around campus. way better than the continuous stopping/starting of the engine, decreased maintenance costs to the university who would have fluids to replace and other wear items on a gas engine.

that being said, at the school i go to we had an engineering fair last year that had 2 Tesla roadsters, electric dirt and street bikes, other mini electric vehicles mentioned above (the van and truck) that our school uses for it's grounds keeping/maintenance staff, and seminars on the technology. it's come a long way since GM's EV1 and seems to be getting better.

Please click HERE to watch this video!