View Single Post

Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Ford Ranger Owner

Send a message via AIM to RangerGirl

I have 2 10s behind my seat and from what I understand the newer Rangers have more room than mine (a 98). If you're good with building stuff I would definitely give it a shot at building your own box. That way you can maximize your space and get the most sound out of system. As for my speakers, they are Sony 1000 watt. Pep Boys was clearing them out so I got them for $48 each and a 1200 watt amp for $90. Its loud. As far as the sound you are looking for, you can adjust the settings on the amp and your radio to get the sound you are looking for. When I found those speakers, I checked the measurements on the box and then measured everything behind the seats. I had built a box before but still had to move the seat up a little. This time, it was perfect. The box fit right under the ridge under the back window and the amp is behind the passenger seat. I'd be more than happy to share the measurements for my box if you think it is the same as yours.

As for the MTX Thunderforms, those things are crazy expensive. I looked at them a couple years ago and it was outrageous. Not sure of the pricing on the other shallow mount speakers. But like I said, just check the measurements on the speakers. The Sonys I got weren't called shallow mount, but they were only around 5" mouting depth. Thats not much.

My system was $48 each for speakers, $90 for amp, $30 for nice wiring kit, $10 for wood for the box, $7 for fabric to cover box. So $250ish with tax. And it really does sound good. Hope this helps