View Single Post

Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: idle surge, running rough, guzzling gas - 88 Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopete View Post
it's a fuel reservoir, do not take it apart. It will not seal back up.

2 temp units though, the driver's side is the gauge sending unit. On the passenger side is the coolant temp sensor that the computer uses. But yes, that can have a bearing on things. They tend to make the truck hard to start when they fail after it's been setting for around an hour.
Ok ya I verified the gauge works by grounding the sending unit. I thought that's what the other one was with the two wires, since I couldn't see how the gauge unit with only one wire would send info to the computer. I changed the thermostat out, I didn't believe it was working right, figured it may have been stuck open, but it wasn't I think the fluid was low, or possible air bubble in the system? Because now it works. Dunno why though, it had that little deal to let air through on the t-stat (old one, as well as my new one) oh well.

Cleaned the IAC valve, cleaned the throttle body. After fiddling around with it yesterday, it didn't shut off to or from work, dunno what many things I played with did it but oh well, now it idles high, but that's my fault for F'ing with the idle screw... used that to get my tps resistance right before I read more on it, oh well, tonight I'll read on how to reset the screw, and adjust the tps the right way.

Sprayed everything with carb cleaner, no vacuum leaks I can find.

Oh ya and btw, saw a bulge in my passenger carpet, wondered what that as, the fuel cut off thing, it was unscrewed, upside down on the floor. So I bolted that back up, if it works, perhaps it was bumping around, that button ontop hitting against the carpet while driving? I dunno. There's a lot of things I'm finding.

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 09-21-2011 at 07:44 PM.