View Single Post

Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Psycho Pete

Default Re: idle surge, running rough, guzzling gas - 88 Ranger

I think I have a kick down cable somewhere. I will have to look and see.

Only later California Emission 2.9Ls have a MAF system, federal emission, or the more common ones only utilize a MAP sensor. It puts out a frequency based on vacuum.

This might be a lot of help for you -

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

Luckily that's not an EGR model.

I might start with plugging off vacuums that aren't necessary for the engine to just run to see if there's a vacuum leak. There's a charcoal canister line that hooks up under the TB that's hard to see.

Dirty or mis-adjusted TPS can cause problems. Might be worth while to clean if it has a lot of carbon build up around the throttle plate, and look for the procedure to set the TPS base voltage. That way you know you are good there and will give you an opportunity to test the TPS sensor while you are doing it.

Could also be a dirty / sticking idle air control solenoid.

Big help will be pulling codes. Does the CEL turn on when the key is just on run (to make sure the bulb isn't burnt out)? Pretty easy to do and can usually get you some hints.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

Fuel filter; change it. PCV valve; change that, too. Change the trans filter and top if off with new fluid. Highly recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler. Fuel pressure test never hurt, always good to know the vital stuff is in good order.

Reread all of your post

Fords are a bit different; Chevy has stored memory codes and KOER test. Ford has a KOEO hard fault, stored memory, and the KOER.

The KOEO is first, codes are output twice, then you a single separator pulse; then you get stored memory codes output twice. They is done with the key on, engine off. 2 tests. Then you can move onto the KOER if the engine is warm - otherwise you will get a temperature out of range code. They will be 2 digit codes.

Best to check TPS with an analog meter so you can watch it sweep smoothly with the needle.

1985 and earlier 2.8L trucks are far more complicated than these... They have a half-breed carburetor and electronic fuel injection system that you would have specialize in to know how to repair.

Fore-thought; if the upper plenum looks like it has been removed, spray around with carb cleaner and listen for the idle to surge. That PO was asking for a vacuum leak if the plenum gasket was reused.

Last edited by Psychopete; 09-21-2011 at 07:14 AM.