View Single Post

Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Found a Diesel

Default How to: Under Door Light

If you have ever wanted to see the ground when getting out of your truck this is the mod for you

Items needed:
1. Led strip (available at your local autozone or similar store in multiple colors and lengths)

2. Wire

3. About an hour of time

Procedure

1. Take your led strip and mount on the underside of the door align it and make sure to put it far enough back so not to smash it when shutting the door

2. Take off your interior door panel and peel back the plastic cover enough to have access inside the door

3. Run you led strip wiring into the door through a existing opening or make one

4. Take the ground wire from the strip and connect it to the grey red stripe wire (passenger) or yellow black stripe (drivers) this will be your switch wire.
(CAUTION: You might want to check to make sure this is true for your truck also (Should be but...) take a voltmeter tap the wire and with the door open you will see a ground with the door close you will see 12v)

5. This next part could take a little a patience. You have to find a constant 12v source I could not find any all ready in the door so I ran a wire from behind the radio to the postive wire on the led strip through the door. You can come up with the 12v wherever you can.
(for a cleaner look take the time to run the wire through with the others)

6. With all this new wire inside your door take a minute before reinstalling to make sure they don't interfere with the window or any other components.

7. Reinstall your door panel and check out your new lighting.

8. Repeat on other door

After doing this mod you will have light when ever you open your door allowing you to see the ground below your feet.
Don't Forget to:
Create a Signature
Show your system

Mods: Brush guard|Front Hitch|Expo Roof Rack|Train Horn|Door/Dash/step/Hood Leds|2" lift|Rear Tow Points|On-Board Air System| 22" & 40" LED bar|and More!