View Single Post

Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Learning to use the forums

Thumbs down Likely culprit???

My 2003 Ranger Edge (3.0L engine), with 92k miles on it (as I write this) started "singing" recently in that typical sign that the serpentine belt was nearing the end of its life. So, I replaced the belt - only to find that not only did the old belt still have some life in it, but the nosie did not end. Of course, this means that the belt was not the issue, but that I have a pulley bearing somewhere about to go bad on me. However, I cannot locate which pulley the noise is coming from.

At first, the noise was worst while the engine was idling, and disappeared as I acclerated. However, the noise is now somewhat constant, and I need to get this fixed before I break down on the side of the road (illnesses and the holidays have prevented me from taking care of this already).

I was wondering if there was a more likely culprit for this issue, out of the possibilties - I'm thinking either water pump, alternator, idler pulley, or power steering pump. I was also wondering if there was a good fix other than replacing the entire part.

Right now my plan is to remove the belt, hand-turn the pullies to see if I can locate one that is getting rough, and replace that part. Hopefully y'all could provide some better insight.

Thanks in advance!