View Single Post

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: programming new key?

Ah, OK. Hmm, wonder if I can still save by buying the key blank online and paying a locksmith to program (and of course cut!) the key.
What sort of professional electronics is required to do a PATS key?
A friend works at a toyota dealership, any chance...? (I'm thinking, probably not, since they'll just have the proprietary toyota software).

Yeah, MD isn't known to be good for rust. I'd just thought, since it's all enclosed inside that drum.... But since you mention it, we've got an '03 trailblazer where all the power steering lines rotted out and the power steering fluid cooler was red mush like something off the titanic. Just a matter of time before we do trans cooler lines or hard brake lines on it too :-)

I'll do the front brakes one day, and check the rear drums; if they need work, buy the needed parts and do them the next afternoon.

The front rotors, with that ABS hub in the middle I think? Does that pop right out, or if I get new rotors, do I need to get the assembly? The latter is almost twice the price, $100-$120 for the pair; or $65 for a pair of straight up rotors. I'll need to double check what's on this car; looks like there are a few options in diameter and depending on whether I've got springs or a torsion bar up front. It's 4x4, so probably torsion bar.
Alternatively I could turn them for free-- I'll need to measure and see how much meat is left anyway, or if it's even worth the trouble in these rusty climes and brandy new is a much better way to go.