View Single Post

Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Ford Ranger Owner

Default Re: Alternate spare location

Quote:
Originally Posted by north44 View Post
Moving the spare to the bed, if you can find the proper mounting hardware, does mean you'll have better access, and the spare won't get as dirty, but you will lose bed space.

If it's just a matter of keeping the spare clean, just wrap the spare in plastic and leave it underneath - at least that's what I did; I don't care much for crud and dirt etc. all over the spare either.

Another thing about the spare tire carrier - it's prone to rusting up and "sticking", not to mention that the cable can rust up and break, so I lower the spare every now and again and clean everything up and re-lube everything.

Takes a bit of effort, but it keeps everything in good working order.

-----------

P.S. Sorry, didn't mean to take it off topic a bit - as to your original question: don't know where you can obtain a spare tire mounting kit for the bed, but you may be able to adapt one of those other carriers to fit, perhaps?
Sorry to hijack- but i was wondering how to get the spare down from it's carrier. I bought the truck in march and tried to get it down but it seeem stuck. I'd like to lube the parts and put it in plastic so it works when i need to access it. I have a can of flat fixer and a compresser as plan B..thanks Tom