View Single Post

Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Engine Ticking Noise - Accel. Hesitation - Slight rough idle

Hello everyone, I've been trying to diagnose my truck issues for some time now... I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and take it into a shop. I'll do my best to explain the symptoms in detail.

First, there is a ticking noise coming from the engine. It is not a knocking noise, and is not particularly loud. It follows in sync with the engine. What I mean by that is, when I accellerate and rev the engine, the ticking keeps pace, and speeds up. It sounds a little bit like the snaping of electricity, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the electrical system. I just took a look at my plugs, wires, and coil pack. Replaced the plugs, wires and pack all seem alright.

Second, there is a slight hesitation when accellerating in 2nd gear. Its not extreme, and only occurs if you accellerate hard. The rest of the time, during normal driving, I barely notice it.

Third, idleing is just barely rough... and what I mean by that is, it seems to hold an idle just fine, but you can feel a bit of shaking on the stickshift and the steering wheel.

I have been reading a P0171 as of late, meaning the system is running lean.

I don't want to offer any of my suggestions so as to get, hopefully, as unbiased a response as possible. If you've got any experience with these problems, suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks!