View Single Post

Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Tank Diver

Default Re: 2wd '97 Ball Joints: Lower and Upper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by led rocker View Post
Well, I changed my bearings a few weeks ago and discovered that the lower ball joints on the passenger side were totally shot. Like dangerously shot, with a huge amount of play in the wheel. I couldn't really tell if the upper was bad or not because the bottom was really horrible.

Should I be safe and replace the upper as well when I'm doing the lower, or is it going to be too much trouble? I've got all the tools and access to a Ford tech for the price of a few beers if I run into trouble. I'm going to do both sides, because the driver's side lower is bad too. So, basically, should I do both upper and lower?

Is there anything else I should change/swap out/look for being broken when I'm this deep into the suspension?

1997 2wd Ranger, manual, 4cyl, reg cab
The uppers are way easier to change than the lowers. I would change both but that's me. You are there already and will need an alignment anyway after you are done. As far as anything else, just give it all a good look. If it looks ok, leave it be.