View Single Post

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Ford B3000 Driver

Default Re: Your favorite engine Oil...

Oil preference is a very personal thing as mentioned, but I feel obligated to share my experience as a retired Ford tech and lifetime mechanic. No offense meant whatsoever, but I strongly recommend against Quaker State, Pennzoil, or any oil made from Pennsylvania crude... and I say this as a native born Pennsylvanian.
Every engine that I've ever been inside of that had a history of PA oil usage had excessive gunk build-up in the valve train, oil pan, everywhere oil tends to pool and cool. I think it has to do with the chemical makeup of the crude, since there's so many coal deposits in the same area.
However the synthetic oils made by the same companies are fine, I happen to use Castrol Syntech but most any brand synthetic oil is pretty good and I use it in all my vehicles no matter how many miles they have when I get ahold of 'em. I once had a '78 Ford Econoline with a 351 V8 that had 180,000 on it when I bought it, cheap because it had a slight rod knock from a worn rod bearing on cold startup, just a few knocks when it fired up until the pressure came up. I started feeding it Mobil 1 and it lasted another 120,000 miles until the tranny blew. The rod knock never went away but it didn't get any worse either.