View Single Post

Old 05-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Welcome to FRF!

Default Re: The Offical Vent Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Shaun,
It is not because of the school system, it is because kids are learning to spell by texting and posting in forums and there is no one to let them know what is right or wrong.
It is really the parents fault for not participating in their education.
Around here the law requires schools to get the kids to a certain point and that is all they try to do.
Take my son for example -
He got a GED from his third chance alternative education school. The bar got lowered with each school he went to and he graduated at 17. They were tired of him and just needed to get him out with a piece of paper.
Now, get this, his Mom is a Teacher with a Masters in Education!!!
She made the mistake of telling him how to play the system and get out quick. He is a bright kid but SOL without the real paper.

PS We got divorced when he was young and he kind of went to shit after that. That was not his fault. I couldn't see him much (big story) and his "brilliant" Mother put her college in front of his education.
That is one factor, but largely around here it seems that the school system is failing as well. For example, the only science fair project I ever had to do was in 8th grade. The only book report I ever did was in 6th grade. And worst of all, I never had to write a formal essay until my Senior year. What makes that even sadder is that the essay was for my Agriculture class. And when the instructor told us to write the essay in MLA format, I had no idea what he was talking about. I'm a really good student, and I know that MLA format was never discussed in any of my English classes.

As for the broken home that some people say is a factor, my dad left us 3 times. He was in and out of jail during my Freshman and Sophomore years. He was never the best dad, and wasn't trying his best either. And yes, it did impact my grades slightly, but the broken home is not the cause of the child's failing grades. The reason behind the child's failing grades is the inability to handle stress. I've always had a positive outlook on everything, even in the worst of times. Even though my dad was a minor character in my life, I still did all the things he would have ever done for/with me. I had a great ability to adapt, and that was the key to my grades only falling slightly. Teach a man how to fish, he'll eat for a life time. Teach a kid how to appropriately manage stress, he'll live a stress free life. The biog things in life won't affect him as much. It will always hurt, but it doesn't have to bring you down.