View Single Post

Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Re: V8 swap and Emissions testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwad View Post
I've been thinking quite passively about doing a V8 swap for quite some time now and have always had the question that since Rangers never came with a V8 option, how would one pass smog in the great state of CA? Would the truck have to pass the emissions test of the car that the engine came out of? Help please.

Thanks,

Brad
Brad, I've done an S10 V8 swap and it would be alot easier if you went with the same year as your ranger and upgraded the emissions equipment made specifically for that engine you plan on using. The S10 V8 would flat out scream and was fun as hell. I've never got to do a Ranger V8 swap, but if it's anything like the S10 it shouldn't be too difficult if you went with the same year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I hear ya! But if you have a decent junkyard nearby, or a parts vehicle, and can do most of the wrenching yourself or with friends, it may be cheaper than you think.

I've never been in a 5.0 Ranger, but I did own a 350 S-10 for a brief while. Even a stock V8 in a small truck is enough power-to-weight to be a helluva lot of fun.
I have rode in 2 V8 rangers. The 5.0 seemed just right and he got the same mpgs with a carbed 5.0 as he did with the 4.0 EFI (unless he stomped on the gas that is). The other ranger I rode in just about caused me to have an orgasm. He stuck a 351 windsor in instead of the usual 5.0 and it was awesome. I tried to get him to come on this site, but he's a little shy and won't come on here.

www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by knightmare1015; 05-23-2011 at 11:42 PM.