View Single Post

Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Ford Tough

Default Re: Back Sliding Glass Window...

I'll post since when I did NO ONE posted for me. I just learned the hard way how to do it.

I got a junkyard one, there we're about 20 rangers, about 10 had sliders.

To remove my solid-pane rear window I started inside the truck and used a spatula (!) yup a spatula to verrrrrrrry slowly pry the rubber gasket up and push it back (outside) the truck. One painstaking push at a time. Getting about 1/4" each time.
AFter 30min, and 3/4 of the way around the window, it fell out (caught it!), Gasket still intact.

You can cut the gasket to get it out in a heart beat, but why waste it?

At the junkyard I started in the bed of the truck and pulled the trim off (this one had exterior trim, mine did not) I then pried the rubber out with my bare fingers, it took about 10 minutes of prying the rubber out and pressing from the inside towards the outside with JUST MY HANDS, no tools (you'll break it, ask my bloody knuckles how I know this).

REmoving the glass is the easy part, now for the fun part: The install

Take the glass and put the gasket on it/stretch it all the way around the glass. Then take a piece of rope (I used 12 gauge wire because I'm ghetto like that) and push it in the DEEP channel in the gasket (there are 2 channels, one's a rib, ones a CHANNEL)

Wrap the entire window (starting in top center, all the way around, back to top center, and overlap some for good measure).

SO you have a window, with gasket, and a piece of wire wrapped in it.::

Place the window where it should go on the truck (helpful to have 2 ppl, I did it alone just fine with a piece of cardboard box to hold it up).

Gently press the window in, IT WON'T FIT. Now get in the truck, grab your wire, and pull slowwwwwly but FIRMLY. THe wire will pull the rubber gasket over the lip and into the inside. The first 80% of the window took minimal pressure on the wire. The last 12" took SERIOUS pulling (think: wire wrapped around hand and pulling with full body weight).

And POP it's in.

Took me 30min to get mine out, 10 min to get the one out at the junkyard. and about 20 min to put the new one in.

I highly recommend cleaning the gasket surface to make it smooooother (WD 40)