View Single Post

Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Last Ohio Miltiia

Default Re: Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open

Here is what some of the dealerships said when I called and asked them for an estimate of how much it would cost to have my IMRC put on my truck. Nothing else just labor on installing the IMRC. I was specific.

One dealership in Kent, Ohio named Klaben Ford told me on the phone about 1 hour labor, approx. $120 USD

Another dealership in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio named Spitzer Ford told me 2.8 hours labor, approx. $240 USD. They said they would have to remove the plenum/manifold to replace the IMRC. Then they said they would have to re-program the computer as well. He said he does it all the time and has done many... LOL I've never done this before and I did it in my driveway in 5 minutes. Didn't have to remove the plenum. Didn't have to re-program the computer. The check engine light went out as soon as I started the truck. Truck runs like new now. Smooth. Beautiful.

Another dealership in Tallmadge, Ohio named Park Ford told me 1.5 to 2 hours labor, approx. $146.

A few points to remember...

1. I'm not an ASE certified mechanic...

2. I don't have a big shop or all the expensive tools like the mechanics at the dealerships.

3. I don't have a book telling me how to do the job.

4. I don't work on vehicles for a living.

5. I don't claim to be an expert or a professional auto mechanic

6. I have cheap Craftsman tools, not MAC or SNAP ON.

Just because these so called experts have a uniform with their names embroidered on them and buy expensive tools, doesn't mean they are truthful, professionals who just want to help you. They are, in actuality, ASE certified con artists. 90% of the time they will make you believe you need more work than you actually need and that the job will take a lot longer than it actually should.

Don't get me wrong, just because you learned something on the internet doesn't mean you're an expert and it doesn't mean the mechanic doesn't know what they're talking about. However, just because the shop foreman tells you something doesn't mean he is telling you the truth either. They're out to make money and that is the prime mover of their struggle, the root of all evil. MONEY. Remember that...

Do your homework. Call around. Get estimates. Talk to the mechanics. Read a book. Educate yourself, it won't hurt...

Respects,
-Bones

++++++++++++++++++++
'03 Ford Ranger
'06 Harley Davidson 1200 XL Custom
'03 Harley Davidson 883 XL Custom <- Wife's Bike
++++++++++++++++++++
Ride to Live, Live to Ride.
Support your local MC.

Last edited by BikerBones; 05-09-2011 at 07:18 AM.