View Single Post

Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM
FRF Journeyman

Unhappy Help! Something in my Engine Coolant

So I have some type of contaminant in my radiator coolant and I'm also not sure if this is a long term problem or a new one. I bought my truck last October and the coolant seemed a little dirty but it had 112k miles on it and I wasn't sure when the last time it was changed so not too worried. When I bought it I flushed the radiator, replaced the coolant, and performed all other general maintenance. This, I guess, caused the coolant to begin leaking from the back of the engine block. I put in stop leak and that fixed that problem (for now). Also, the transmission has never been in tip top shape since I bought the truck, although it is not bad either. I did just change the oil and it seemed a little dirty for only 3k miles but not too bad and not milky. The transmission fluid seemed to have been new when I bought the truck and still looks pretty clear, but I'm not sure if there would be that much difference if it was diluted by antifreeze.

So how do I tell if this brown color is from the stop leak (yay!), the oil (dang), or the transmission fluid (double dang)? Also if it is oil or transmission fluid, what do I need to do to find the source and fix the problem. Thanks for any help guys.
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs