View Single Post

Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Like the Forums

Default Re: Help with rust, Im new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botta Ranger View Post
If it's not structural, DO NOT WELD. Why? Because it's not as rust resistant and a lot harder to do. Is it any good? Lots of new car panels are bonded instead of welded.

Amazon.com: Automix? Panel Bonding Adhesive , 200 mL Cartridge, 6/cs 3M-8116: Automotive

Panel Bonding Adhesive 08116, 200 mL Cartridge, 6/cs Two-part epoxy used to bond steel, aluminum, SMC, and FRP (traditional fiberglass). The primary use is to replace quarter panels, roofs, box sides, van sides, utility vehicle sides and door skins. Meets GM 6449G & Chrysler MS-CD 507.

There are other brands. Some car parts stores have them. 2 minutes to 30 minutes.

Expensive? Yes.
Compared to welding? No.

I have to completely disagree. Welding costs almost nothing. I have used that 3M panel bonding adhesive before, while it is good stuff, it has it's applications, and putting a patch panel in should not be one of them. If he was replacing his intire bed side, then yeah, this would be an "okay" substitute for welding it on. But for replacing a wheelwell lip. Welding is the cheapest and best way to achieve a proper repair.

Examples of things I have used this stuff on, as well as what its best used for: Fiberglass bodied cars (bonding strips) Molding in body kits to steel cars. But also in use with mounting hardware.

Welding costs using a small DIY 120V MIG welder : About $3 used off a $8 spool of flux-core .023 wire. And about $5-10 added on to your eletric bill.

Paying someone to weld it: Rates vary but typically $45 per hour. The area rusted in his photo looked like it could be welded up in 2 hours time if he does the prep and finishing himself.

Panel Bonding adhesive: $35-45 for just ONE tube. Will take anywhere from 2-3 tubes to mount a bedside quarter panel. Applicator gun (makes it much, MUCH easier) anywhere from $45-300.

You can buy a 120V Hobart, Lincoln or Craftsman welder that can be used at home for less than $300 and use it for many years to come. Not just on this one project. When you buy a welder, you find yourself repairing your bedsides, exhaust pipes, shaving door handles, repairing your BBQ grill, fixing your kids swingset, re-enforcing that wobbley wheel on your tractor...

Lastly, I can post photos of results using 3M panel bonding adhesive. In some applications it is the only thing to use. Like when I moulded 70's AMC fiberglass hood scoops on the hood of my 2004 Chevy Colorado (also using mechanical fasteners). After 4 years very small hair line cracks started showing in the paint where the scoops were bonded on. Had a good run!

Last edited by 4LetterWord; 05-04-2011 at 11:31 AM.