Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Engine Tech Forum > 4-Cylinder Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 45
Default Whining transmission

Lately my transmission has been making a whining noise when it is cold mostly. If I run I on on the e way for a bit it seems to go away but it's really only noticeable at low speeds or idle. The sound changes when I push on the throttle. It's a 96 ranger 2.3 5-speed not sure what tranny. Any ideas what this could be? Fixes?
__________________
1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 2.3L 5-speed

Flowmaster 40 muffler straight piped catalytic converter
Spectre free flowing air filter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199
Default Re: Whining transmission

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? You sure it has an ample supply?
__________________
1995 2WD, 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? You sure it has an ample supply?
I've never had it changed since I got the truck. I had it checked last year and they said its was good. What is a ample supply?
__________________
1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 2.3L 5-speed

Flowmaster 40 muffler straight piped catalytic converter
Spectre free flowing air filter
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199
Default Re: Whining transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear96Ranger View Post
What is a ample supply?
Full.
__________________
1995 2WD, 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
Default Re: Whining transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear96Ranger View Post
What is a ample supply?
Crawl under your truck and look at the driver's side of your transmission. There will be two plugs; the lower one marked "Drain" and the upper one marked "Fill." Remove the Fill plug and check the oil level with your finger. It should be right up to the bottom of the fill hole. If not,either top it up or drain & refill, since you say you do not know when it was last changed.

Be sure to check your manual for the correct type of fluid. My 2005 M5OD-R1 takes ATF; your 1996 may take gear oil.
__________________
BobM
2005 XL
2.3L
5 spd. manual
112K mi.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post

Crawl under your truck and look at the driver's side of your transmission. There will be two plugs; the lower one marked "Drain" and the upper one marked "Fill." Remove the Fill plug and check the oil level with your finger. It should be right up to the bottom of the fill hole. If not,either top it up or drain & refill, since you say you do not know when it was last changed.

Be sure to check your manual for the correct type of fluid. My 2005 M5OD-R1 takes ATF; your 1996 may take gear oil.
Alright will do thanks!
__________________
1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 2.3L 5-speed

Flowmaster 40 muffler straight piped catalytic converter
Spectre free flowing air filter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199
Default Re: Whining transmission

Here is a decent write up on how to change the transmission fluid. Good pictures of where the fill plug and drain plug are on the transmission.

M5 Manual Transmission Fluid Change

I did it on my '95 and cleared up a sticky shifter issue I was having. My '95 take Mercon V ATF.
__________________
1995 2WD, 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed

Last edited by POS Racing; 09-06-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
Here is a decent write up on how to change the transmission fluid. Good pictures of where the fill plug and drain plug are on the transmission.

M5 Manual Transmission Fluid Change

I did it on my '95 and cleared up a sticky shifter issue I was having. My '95 take Mercon V ATF.
Thanks this is really helpful. It doesn't show it in the forum but would it be a good idea to flush the tranny after I drain it? Like an oil change
__________________
1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 2.3L 5-speed

Flowmaster 40 muffler straight piped catalytic converter
Spectre free flowing air filter
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199
Default Re: Whining transmission

Not sure how you'd flush it.

I just drained (cleaned the crud of the magnet) and refilled.
__________________
1995 2WD, 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
Not sure how you'd flush it.

I just drained (cleaned the crud of the magnet) and refilled.
Like drain it put new fluid in and drain that then fill it up
__________________
1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 2.3L 5-speed

Flowmaster 40 muffler straight piped catalytic converter
Spectre free flowing air filter
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199
Default Re: Whining transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear96Ranger View Post
Like drain it put new fluid in and drain that then fill it up
I'm waiting until the next oil change then I plan to change it again. So I'm sort of doing that just over a longer timespan.
__________________
1995 2WD, 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.0 hum/ whining FFBill 3.0 Vulcan Tech 10 03-30-2013 05:58 PM
Solution to Ford Ranger clutch bleeding/transmission whining problem raymilosh Drivetrain Tech 9 02-09-2013 08:10 PM
whining help Stinkbaitj General Tech 7 11-26-2012 08:34 AM
Transmission Whining SebastianTH1 Drivetrain Tech 1 07-26-2012 12:37 PM
Transmission whining in all gears except fourth; burning smell RCA Dimensia Drivetrain Tech 10 02-12-2012 04:09 AM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.