Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Engine Tech Forum > 4-Cylinder Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default 98 4 cylinder problems

What could be making my 98 4 cylinder ranger 2.5 run barely, it was hesitating then it just started running real bad like it was running out of gas

----------

bought a new coil pack for it but i havent put it on yet..it has 2 coil packs, are they a easy way to test them to c if bad or good??
__________________
98 ford ranger
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 609
Default Re: 98 4 cylinder problems

timing
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: 98 4 cylinder problems

And it might be running out of gas, have you changed the fuel filter?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Sweeto Burrito!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,440
Default Re: 98 4 cylinder problems

i'm saying fuel filter! or air filter!

what all you cleaned, dustin?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHT98
What could be making my 98 4 cylinder ranger 2.5 run barely, it was hesitating then it just started running real bad like it was running out of gas

----------

bought a new coil pack for it but i havent put it on yet..it has 2 coil packs, are they a easy way to test them to c if bad or good??
Are you still here? You about to embark on another epic "how not to clinic"....

1999, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 145k. (Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FRF App)
__________________
2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 113k.(6/5,2014) For-Sale.

Current project: 2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 135k(purchase price $1,350)needs an engine. I think a timing chain skipped. No rust or dents, needs a compound. UPDATE: I bought a 4.0 out of a 2009 Ranger 4x4, 87k for $800 Just waiting to get the swap done.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: 98 4 cylinder problems

Ok it was just number 4 iinjector stuck needing gas too..been setting for about 6 months..thanks everybody...now im having problems with the battery draining especially when i cut lights on..any suggestions...i have a remanfactured alternator i bought and put it on there ...but my battery wont keep a charge the lights kill it QUICK..thanks for alls help i truely appreciate it i have a broken femur and i need my truck to get around..now the battery is draining and i have no idea how!! lol HELP!!

----------

NO shelly i havent but it runs alot smoother than it was i will change that eventually thanks for ur hellp
__________________
98 ford ranger
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Sweeto Burrito!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,440
Default Re: 98 4 cylinder problems

how old is the battery??

----------

rather, was the battery sitting the last 6 months dead?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHT98 View Post
Ok it was just number 4 iinjector stuck needing gas too..been setting for about 6 months..thanks everybody...now im having problems with the battery draining especially when i cut lights on..any suggestions...i have a remanfactured alternator i bought and put it on there ...but my battery wont keep a charge the lights kill it QUICK..thanks for alls help i truely appreciate it i have a broken femur and i need my truck to get around..now the battery is draining and i have no idea how!! lol HELP!!

----------

NO shelly i havent but it runs alot smoother than it was i will change that eventually thanks for ur hellp
If the battery not holding the charge then its time to new battery. Geter done

Using DROID BIONIC. 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger 2.5
How To: Dual ignition Plug mod (Dual plug 2.3/2.5L only)
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...2-5l-only.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 609
Default Re: 98 4 cylinder problems

i've also seen reman alt drain batts have autozone test it
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpxpunkrock1987 View Post
i've also seen reman alt drain batts have autozone test it
He just put a manufacturer alternator on it. It could be defective which I've seen. So i rule the battery

Using DROID BIONIC. 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger 2.5
How To: Dual ignition Plug mod (Dual plug 2.3/2.5L only)
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...2-5l-only.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford ranger 2.8D, 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? sandyrock26 4-Cylinder Tech 1 05-04-2012 03:22 PM
Cylinder 6 rayray47126 3.0 Vulcan Tech 2 02-06-2012 01:05 PM
2003 Clutch ? or cylinder problems?? HELP! Bajamulediva General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 04-27-2011 07:55 PM
4 cylinder dangerranger2004 General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 03-24-2011 04:22 PM
87 2.3L FI 4 Cylinder - kenmiller59 4-Cylinder Tech 1 05-17-2010 10:15 AM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.