Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
stateranger stateranger is offline
Mr H....A....P...P....Y👿
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,903
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
Sorry, dude, but I looked at my manual, and it specifically states that you MUST have your brake pedal pushed to in order to get the truck into gear. How do I know? I HAVE A STICK TOO--4 SPEED WITH OVERDRIVE, NOT A 5-SPEED.

Idiot. By the way, here's some info for you: A five-speed manual trans will have a true fifth gear, with the engine coupled to the trans in a 1:1 ratio. An overdrive gear (4-speed with O/D) is coupled, in overdrive, in a 1:.75 ratio.

Man, I love it when I know my s*^t! lol
They call it an M5OD because its a mazda five speed overdrive.
The only time you us the brake to shift a manual is when you have a 4x4 and have to stop to shift the transfercase.
Heres a link that has the ratios for that trany that you say is a four speed.
http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...sions_Main.htm
__________________
2014 F150 xl 3.7 6 speed auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9298 View Post
HELL TO THE NO!! Abort abort abort!! That's the first thing to go!!! Ewwwww! I'm not no vampire! I don't enjoy red tea

Last edited by stateranger; 01-13-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Doc32469 Doc32469 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 227
Default

What a waste of time reading this tread.

Using DROID BIONIC. 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger 2.5
How To: Dual ignition Plug mod (Dual plug 2.3/2.5L only)
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...2-5l-only.html
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 PM
zekew64 zekew64 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 211
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94mtx View Post
What's your point with that useless information in this thread?

Just so you know kiddo, I went to college to become a mechanic which included transmission classes. While I am glad you can read from your Chilton's manual, perhaps you should read the O.P.'s question next time.


He was talking about his clutch; obviously a 5-speed manual.
First, dude, you're the reason why techs get bad names--rude and obnoxious. I hope the shop you work at goes out of business.

Second, there are TWO transmissions that Ford put in the Ranger--a 4 speed with O/D AND a 5 speed. Mazda put the 5-speed into the B-series pickups, while Ford (who owned Mazda) put the 4-speed, O/D trans in the Ranger.

Third, I didn't read the information regarding the brake pedal needing to be pressed from a Chilton's manual. I read it from the original owner's manual (which mine, by the way, is the original 1992 owner's manual) that comes from, you guessed it, FORD. If you know your shit, why ain't you working for Ford? lol Or, how about this: Would you like a pic posted that shows the page I'm referring to? Would that make you feel better?

AND, lastly, I was referring to the OP's original post--it had to do with NOT BEING ABLE TO SHIFT. And not having the brake pedal pressed, from a dead stop, can cause gears to grind, and/or not being able to get the stick to get into gear. Why do I know? I spent nearly a week dealing with this same exact issue. So, yes, I know about this issue from personal experience.
__________________
Billie, my "sparkly" blue 1992 Ranger
SPECS: 2.3 I4; Rebuilt motor at 194,263 miles; straightened driveshaft when engine was rebuilt

FIRST MODS: 2" suspension lift and rear disc brake conversion

Last edited by zekew64; 01-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 AM
djfllmn djfllmn is offline
ford dealer parts guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20,897
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default

No ford and Mazda used the same trans.....all ford did was change the shift knob....my ranger said 1-5 on the knob and my grandpa's says 1-4 and then OD....either way they are both the M5OD-R1 trans...why don't you do more research and get your facts straight

Sent from my HTC One X using FRF App so you can hate on my F150 no matter where I am
__________________
18 F150 Supercab XLT 2.7
1968 Thunderbird
Past: 16 F150 5.0, 14 F150 5.0, 07 F150 5.4, 03 Ranger 4.0

Master Certified Ford Parts / Warranty Admin
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
S13minus1 S13minus1 is offline
Sideways? Sideways.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,592
Send a message via AIM to S13minus1
Default

Can you put it in gear with the engine off?
__________________
-Alex
'10 Ranger XL 2.3L Manual
Mods: Stereo, Tint, Weatherguard rain shields, Intake silencer removal, LED brake, turn signal, reverse, license plate, and dome lights, DDM HID's (currently removed), lowered, 17" wheels with spacers, Explorer autodim mirror with Autolamps, Magnaflow exhaust, Buggman LED 3rd Brake Light...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS View Post
awe come on alex be a man!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM
1994ranger1994 1994ranger1994 is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 152
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Hey original poster have you gotten it figured out??? This thread has gotten way off track. To much bickering. Just wanting to know if it is fixed. Let us know. Thanks.
__________________
1994 ranger reg cab 4x4 2.3l 5speed. first 4X4!! coil mod 212k miles no throttle cable mod needed!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
94mtx 94mtx is offline
;p
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
First, dude, you're the reason why techs get bad names--rude and obnoxious. I hope the shop you work at goes out of business.

Second, there are TWO transmissions that Ford put in the Ranger--a 4 speed with O/D AND a 5 speed. Mazda put the 5-speed into the B-series pickups, while Ford (who owned Mazda) put the 4-speed, O/D trans in the Ranger.

Third, I didn't read the information regarding the brake pedal needing to be pressed from a Chilton's manual. I read it from the original owner's manual (which mine, by the way, is the original 1992 owner's manual) that comes from, you guessed it, FORD. If you know your shit, why ain't you working for Ford? lol Or, how about this: Would you like a pic posted that shows the page I'm referring to? Would that make you feel better?

AND, lastly, I was referring to the OP's original post--it had to do with NOT BEING ABLE TO SHIFT. And not having the brake pedal pressed, from a dead stop, can cause gears to grind, and/or not being able to get the stick to get into gear. Why do I know? I spent nearly a week dealing with this same exact issue. So, yes, I know about this issue from personal experience.
Refer to my original post in response to idiocy. Owner's manuals are useless and are typically never referenced less need for the fuse layout or resetting the radio/oil mileage meter in ANY vehicle. Giving advice to someone with a 5-speed FORD pickup from an owners manual referring to an AUTOMATIC shifting mechanism is not only ignorant, but idiotic.

Learn to read before trying to offer advice, especially when you are willing to admit you have no idea what you are talking about and only referencing a Ford document which every vehicle comes with.



Just in case you don't know, 5-speed (stick) means you manually shift every gear, from a shift knob protruding from the center of the floor-boards above the transmission in the Rangers, achieved by the manual shift of each by depressing the clutch and releasing the gas-pedal simultaneously and the reverse action once the five-speed selector is in the proper gear position.; An automatic shifts itself and only requires the column-mounted shift lever to be moved from PARK to DRIVE (P to D) with the brake pedal depressed, followed by application of the accelerator for forward momentum.



TL;DR - quit acting like a know-it-all and posting useless shit places it obviously doesn't belong. The original poster came here for FREE information, and is not paying $100 an hour for an ASE certified mechanic to play nice with the public. Get a grip, please, for the sake of the community.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XL 2.5L 5-speed RWD 3.73 open - 170,000+ miles
Buggman LED 3BL/CARGO, Buggman Stang Dome LED conversion, LED Brake Light conversion, Line-X O.T.R., Air silencer removed
2.3L Headgasket/TIMING/Water Pump replacement guide

Last edited by 94mtx; 01-18-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
zekew64 zekew64 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 211
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94mtx View Post
Refer to my original post in response to idiocy. Owner's manuals are useless and are typically never referenced less need for the fuse layout or resetting the radio/oil mileage meter in ANY vehicle. Giving advice to someone with a 5-speed FORD pickup from an owners manual referring to an AUTOMATIC shifting mechanism is not only ignorant, but idiotic.

Learn to read before trying to offer advice, especially when you are willing to admit you have no idea what you are talking about and only referencing a Ford document which every vehicle comes with.

Just in case you don't know, 5-speed (stick) means you manually shift every gear, from a shift knob protruding from the center of the floor-boards above the transmission in the Rangers, achieved by the manual shift of each by depressing the clutch and releasing the gas-pedal simultaneously and the reverse action once the five-speed selector is in the proper gear position.; An automatic shifts itself and only requires the column-mounted shift lever to be moved from PARK to DRIVE (P to D) with the brake pedal depressed, followed by application of the accelerator for forward momentum.



TL;DR - quit acting like a know-it-all and posting useless shit places it obviously doesn't belong. The original poster came here for FREE information, and is not paying $100 an hour for an ASE certified mechanic to play nice with the public. Get a grip, please, for the sake of the community.

Let me tell you and everyone else this AGAIN, until you get it through your thick skulls: THE INFORMATION I GOT IS FROM FORD, ABOUT THE MANUAL SHIFT PART OF A MANUAL SHIFT-STYLE TRANSMISSION. PERIOD. What this means is that the information is from a FORD OWNER'S MANUAL. NOT ONLY THAT, THE HEADING ABOVE READS: "DRIVING WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION."

The first line of this section reads as follows: "Make sure the gearshift lever is in the Neutral position and your right foot is holding down the brake pedal" (emphasis added).

So, in essence, I was correct in what I had said. Not only that, what I read from had not a damn thing to do with automatic transmissions. And besides, I have to question your intelligence when the thread is about manual transmissions and shifting, and you mention automatic transmissions (which you don't usually shift manually).

----------

OP: By the way, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. And if the fact that people are dumb and don't pay attention, and I feel I have to respond bothers you, I apologize for that.

But, yes, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. Did you? And what was the solution to the problem?
__________________
Billie, my "sparkly" blue 1992 Ranger
SPECS: 2.3 I4; Rebuilt motor at 194,263 miles; straightened driveshaft when engine was rebuilt

FIRST MODS: 2" suspension lift and rear disc brake conversion
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
Let me tell you and everyone else this AGAIN, until you get it through your thick skulls: THE INFORMATION I GOT IS FROM FORD, ABOUT THE MANUAL SHIFT PART OF A MANUAL SHIFT-STYLE TRANSMISSION. PERIOD. What this means is that the information is from a FORD OWNER'S MANUAL. NOT ONLY THAT, THE HEADING ABOVE READS: "DRIVING WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION."

The first line of this section reads as follows: "Make sure the gearshift lever is in the Neutral position and your right foot is holding down the brake pedal" (emphasis added).

So, in essence, I was correct in what I had said. Not only that, what I read from had not a damn thing to do with automatic transmissions. And besides, I have to question your intelligence when the thread is about manual transmissions and shifting, and you mention automatic transmissions (which you don't usually shift manually).

----------

OP: By the way, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. And if the fact that people are dumb and don't pay attention, and I feel I have to respond bothers you, I apologize for that.

But, yes, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. Did you? And what was the solution to the problem?

SFDROIDBUT2
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM
94mtx 94mtx is offline
;p
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
Let me tell you and everyone else this AGAIN, until you get it through your thick skulls: THE INFORMATION I GOT IS FROM FORD, ABOUT THE MANUAL SHIFT PART OF A MANUAL SHIFT-STYLE TRANSMISSION. PERIOD. What this means is that the information is from a FORD OWNER'S MANUAL. NOT ONLY THAT, THE HEADING ABOVE READS: "DRIVING WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION."

The first line of this section reads as follows: "Make sure the gearshift lever is in the Neutral position and your right foot is holding down the brake pedal" (emphasis added).

So, in essence, I was correct in what I had said. Not only that, what I read from had not a damn thing to do with automatic transmissions. And besides, I have to question your intelligence when the thread is about manual transmissions and shifting, and you mention automatic transmissions (which you don't usually shift manually).

----------

OP: By the way, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. And if the fact that people are dumb and don't pay attention, and I feel I have to respond bothers you, I apologize for that.

But, yes, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. Did you? And what was the solution to the problem?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
*sigh* Here goes...a simple fix, with no tools needed...

Only question I'm going to ask: When you try and shift, do you put your foot on the brake? If you don't, your truck won't go into gear--there's a switch on the brake pedal that prevents the truck from engaging the gears without the brake pedal pushed.

Don't believe me, check your owner's manual under "Shifting Your Ranger." Ran into this myself and could have beat my head against the wall when I found out how easy this problem is!! LOL

----------

Oh, and by the way, you have brake fluid for your clutch, transmission fluid (ATF-type fluid) in the trans to simply keep the gears and other moving parts cool.

Just some info I thought you might want to know.
Need I really do more than quote you to call you a liar. You were referring to a safety feature of an automatic Ranger transmission; nothing to do with a 5-speed.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XL 2.5L 5-speed RWD 3.73 open - 170,000+ miles
Buggman LED 3BL/CARGO, Buggman Stang Dome LED conversion, LED Brake Light conversion, Line-X O.T.R., Air silencer removed
2.3L Headgasket/TIMING/Water Pump replacement guide
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
wiggledbits wiggledbits is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

I hope it isn't felt that I'm high jacking this thread but it is the same symtoms I have. Clutch will not disengage fully. 95 4x4 XLT 4+OD

So I had my clutch replaced about 3 or so years ago. They replaced the Slave but not the master. I have put maybe 5k/m on it since. When this started I checked the MC res and it needed a few drops. I haven't noticed any real loss in the res but now I now can't get enough disengagement to shift smoothly and I have to turn off the truck to put it in reverse. So it seems more air has made/is making it's way in.

My question is if air got in shouldn't the MC be replaced assuming the slave is OK?

I have seen the vids for how to burp this system and how much the push rod is supposed to move and how much throw you're to see under the truck but if a MC replacement is in order might as well do it once. I suppose I would see evidence of fluid on it if it was bad?.

As I understand it the slave is in the bell housing right? If it is and it is the Slave I should see evidence of fluid in there?

Last edited by wiggledbits; 01-20-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Prages Prages is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
Let me tell you and everyone else this AGAIN, until you get it through your thick skulls: THE INFORMATION I GOT IS FROM FORD, ABOUT THE MANUAL SHIFT PART OF A MANUAL SHIFT-STYLE TRANSMISSION. PERIOD. What this means is that the information is from a FORD OWNER'S MANUAL. NOT ONLY THAT, THE HEADING ABOVE READS: "DRIVING WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION."

The first line of this section reads as follows: "Make sure the gearshift lever is in the Neutral position and your right foot is holding down the brake pedal" (emphasis added).

So, in essence, I was correct in what I had said. Not only that, what I read from had not a damn thing to do with automatic transmissions. And besides, I have to question your intelligence when the thread is about manual transmissions and shifting, and you mention automatic transmissions (which you don't usually shift manually).

----------

OP: By the way, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. And if the fact that people are dumb and don't pay attention, and I feel I have to respond bothers you, I apologize for that.

But, yes, I did want to know if you fixed your problem. Did you? And what was the solution to the problem?
You do realize that every time you shift gears in a manual transmission, you pass through neutral. If there were some kind of switch built into the brake pedal, you'd have to apply the brake every time you shifted gears.

I guess there could be some kind of switch where if the truck is stopped, then you have to hold the brake to get it in gear, but out of the many, many manual transmissions I've owned or driven, that's never been a 'feature', and I can't see it being practical in any way.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
Extended Cab
3.0 Flex
4x4
Manual Transmission
Offroad Package
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
94mtx 94mtx is offline
;p
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggledbits View Post
I hope it isn't felt that I'm high jacking this thread but it is the same symtoms I have. Clutch will not disengage fully. 95 4x4 XLT 4+OD

So I had my clutch replaced about 3 or so years ago. They replaced the Slave but not the master. I have put maybe 5k/m on it since. When this started I checked the MC res and it needed a few drops. I haven't noticed any real loss in the res but now I now can't get enough disengagement to shift smoothly and I have to turn off the truck to put it in reverse. So it seems more air has made/is making it's way in.

My question is if air got in shouldn't the MC be replaced assuming the slave is OK?

I have seen the vids for how to burp this system and how much the push rod is supposed to move and how much throw you're to see under the truck but if a MC replacement is in order might as well do it once. I suppose I would see evidence of fluid on it if it was bad?.

As I understand it the slave is in the bell housing right? If it is and it is the Slave I should see evidence of fluid in there?

Replace your master, bench bleed it properly, then gravity and pressure bleed the entire system a lot. You should have improvement unless the slave is leaking slowly and the culprit.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XL 2.5L 5-speed RWD 3.73 open - 170,000+ miles
Buggman LED 3BL/CARGO, Buggman Stang Dome LED conversion, LED Brake Light conversion, Line-X O.T.R., Air silencer removed
2.3L Headgasket/TIMING/Water Pump replacement guide
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
shoran1 shoran1 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

have you checked the throwout (?) bearing?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
1994ranger1994 1994ranger1994 is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 152
Default Re: 1999 Ranger New clutch, not able to shift gears still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
First, dude, you're the reason why techs get bad names--rude and obnoxious. I hope the shop you work at goes out of business.

Second, there are TWO transmissions that Ford put in the Ranger--a 4 speed with O/D AND a 5 speed. Mazda put the 5-speed into the B-series pickups, while Ford (who owned Mazda) put the 4-speed, O/D trans in the Ranger.

Third, I didn't read the information regarding the brake pedal needing to be pressed from a Chilton's manual. I read it from the original owner's manual (which mine, by the way, is the original 1992 owner's manual) that comes from, you guessed it, FORD. If you know your shit, why ain't you working for Ford? lol Or, how about this: Would you like a pic posted that shows the page I'm referring to? Would that make you feel better?

AND, lastly, I was referring to the OP's original post--it had to do with NOT BEING ABLE TO SHIFT. And not having the brake pedal pressed, from a dead stop, can cause gears to grind, and/or not being able to get the stick to get into gear. Why do I know? I spent nearly a week dealing with this same exact issue. So, yes, I know about this issue from personal experience.
i don't know if you have figured it out yet, but your ramblings about pushing the brake when shifting a manual is so you don't roll. not so you can get the truck into gear. now why don't you 2 stop and see if the op has gotten his truck fixed. thank you

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prages View Post
You do realize that every time you shift gears in a manual transmission, you pass through neutral. If there were some kind of switch built into the brake pedal, you'd have to apply the brake every time you shifted gears.

I guess there could be some kind of switch where if the truck is stopped, then you have to hold the brake to get it in gear, but out of the many, many manual transmissions I've owned or driven, that's never been a 'feature', and I can't see it being practical in any way.
there is only a brake light switch on a manual transmission's brake pedal.
__________________
1994 ranger reg cab 4x4 2.3l 5speed. first 4X4!! coil mod 212k miles no throttle cable mod needed!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch, fix, problem, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
manual shift in 1999 Ranger... need help doogster Drivetrain Tech 1 08-25-2011 11:31 AM
1999 ranger xlt 4x4 hard shift and abs ShakyHands General Tech 0 08-02-2011 06:33 PM
What Gears for a 1999 Ranger with 35" 99Ranger4 Drivetrain Tech 13 03-21-2011 10:42 AM
1999 Ranger Clutch System Problems akemiai 4-Cylinder Tech 3 02-19-2011 05:04 AM
96 Ford Ranger Clutch Problem (Unable to shift)? Stephanie Drivetrain Tech 2 09-16-2010 04:25 AM