Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Johnbaum13 Johnbaum13 is offline
<-----Buzz Killington
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,232
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnbaum13
Default

Funny thing about that info, the duratech 2.3 wasn't out yet in 98. My owners manual does say the capacity for oil change with filter.
__________________
I got my Jesus on the dashboard, but the Devil's under my hood!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
07XLT 07XLT is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 View Post
Funny thing about that info, the duratech 2.3 wasn't out yet in 98. My owners manual does say the capacity for oil change with filter.
Hah well I don't know wth to do . I probably just skipped over it like a noob .

I went ahead and got the mobil 1 snythetic deal at advance auto (5 quarts and mobil 1 filter for 27.99) so either way I'll be set. thx for the halp!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 AM
jfive jfive is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
Default

I would say valvoline myself, or castrol. I use both. Royal purple is good stuff too, but not worth the extra money, unless you have 20,000 into your motors or something.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
07XLT 07XLT is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive View Post
I would say valvoline myself, or castrol. I use both. Royal purple is good stuff too, but not worth the extra money, unless you have 20,000 into your motors or something.
I went ahead and got the Mobil 1 deal. I've read soaring reviews about royal purple, BUT it was 7.89 or something a quart! I bet their filters aren't cheap either... I got 5 qts of Mobil 1 syn, a Mobil 1 filter, an oil trap and a couple funnels for less than $35. Not that bad.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Johnbaum13 Johnbaum13 is offline
<-----Buzz Killington
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,232
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnbaum13
Default

I run Royal Purple in mine, I like the stuff, but as stated, it ain't cheap. I don't think they make filters, so I use a Motorcraft filter. I've heard bad things about the Mobil1 filters, but don't have any personal experience. I just stick to the tried and true Motorcraft.
__________________
I got my Jesus on the dashboard, but the Devil's under my hood!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
07XLT 07XLT is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 View Post
I run Royal Purple in mine, I like the stuff, but as stated, it ain't cheap. I don't think they make filters, so I use a Motorcraft filter. I've heard bad things about the Mobil1 filters, but don't have any personal experience. I just stick to the tried and true Motorcraft.
I saw oil filters on their website but couldn't find them anywhere for sale. How much life do you get out of RP? I've read reviews saying anywhere from 8k to 16k, with oil filter changes around every 5k.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Johnbaum13 Johnbaum13 is offline
<-----Buzz Killington
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,232
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnbaum13
Default

I just change it at 5K 'cause I'm anal like that. It would prolly be fine for 10K, but I'd rather just change it and be safe.
Really, The biggest thing for me was the mpg jump I got when I switched to RP from Motorcraft semi-syn 5W20.
__________________
I got my Jesus on the dashboard, but the Devil's under my hood!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 AM
07XLT 07XLT is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 View Post
I just change it at 5K 'cause I'm anal like that. It would prolly be fine for 10K, but I'd rather just change it and be safe.
Really, The biggest thing for me was the mpg jump I got when I switched to RP from Motorcraft semi-syn 5W20.
I've read reviews about RP saying people have gained 1-3 mpg just from using their motor oil, but then again people have said the same about their K&N airfilters too, so who knows what to believe .

How much mileage did you get between changes with Mobil 1? I'm hoping to get around twice the life of conventional.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Johnbaum13 Johnbaum13 is offline
<-----Buzz Killington
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,232
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnbaum13
Default

I used Mobil1 on the wife's car, and it would go around 10K between changes, but what pissed me off was that when I had to pull the valve cover, it was full of sludge. The engine started knocking at 120K, but I don't know it I would blame that on sludge or that it was a Hyundai.

Oh, and I got a consistent 2-3mpg gain with RP.
__________________
I got my Jesus on the dashboard, but the Devil's under my hood!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 AM
dixie_boysles dixie_boysles is offline
5.Oh All the way

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,581
Send a message via Yahoo to dixie_boysles
Default

I just use the Motorcrat Synthestic Blend and love it. I change mine every 4k. I think 3k is too soon and 5k is too much with the way i drive
__________________
2014 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4
275/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W | Shorty Antenna | Tinted Windows | ProClip Phone Mount |5.0 v8 |Tow Package | Oxford White


Sold/Totaled: 2006 Ranger XLT 2D SuperCap 4x4 Torch Red
15x8 Pacer 164P Polished Wheels | 31x10.50 BFG ATs | Level II Tow Hooks | FX4 Red Insert Seats
Tinted Windows | 6000K HIDs | Kobalt Low Profile Toolbox | Pioneer Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
07XLT 07XLT is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 View Post
I used Mobil1 on the wife's car, and it would go around 10K between changes, but what pissed me off was that when I had to pull the valve cover, it was full of sludge. The engine started knocking at 120K, but I don't know it I would blame that on sludge or that it was a Hyundai.

Oh, and I got a consistent 2-3mpg gain with RP.
Dear lord that would be great, seeing as how I only get 23-24 right now. I don't think I'm going to wait as long as 10k since my engine is so new. My service manual says an oil change every 5k, so I may end up doing that until I step up to RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
I just use the Motorcrat Synthestic Blend and love it. I change mine every 4k. I think 3k is too soon and 5k is too much with the way i drive
I practically drive like an old fart, so that won't be a problem .
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07XLT View Post
This is what I was going to get 5 qts of:http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2046____

So what they call synthetic is actually only half or partially synth? That's a little deceiving... they should just say it like it is. Is this bad news though? Will the Mobil 1 syn be bad for the engine because it isn't fully syn, or will it just perform less?



I was debating about using RP, but it's so damn expensive compared to other oils, even synthetics. The best price I've seen per qt is like $7.50 and I'm betting their oil filters cost around $15; so almost $55 for a DIY oil change . I may cave though, well see .
haha ya do it, its a great oil, and im runnin a K&N filter. i didnt even know RP made filters?
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 AM
07XLT 07XLT is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
haha ya do it, its a great oil, and im runnin a K&N filter. i didnt even know RP made filters?
When I have a little more cash floating around I may upgrade to RP. Seeing as how my little 4 banger needs less than 5 qts of oil, even with a filter change, it won't be that much more expensive.

Their oil filters are listed on the RP website: http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-oil-filter.html

I tried searching on yahoo and google for them but couldn't find anything? I'm betting their around $15 though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranger got an early xmas present! smakes Vehicle Snapshots 43 01-06-2010 01:50 PM
Royal purple synthetic oil g-ann General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 11-29-2009 08:31 AM
5w-20 motorcraft synthetic blend oil smurphy General Tech 4 06-10-2009 12:22 PM