Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: Air Intake

They all just said exactly what I just said. I'm sorry you're in denial, but whatever makes you happy. And I think the stock filter is fine too. So why would I suggest a different one? I said they ad nothing. I said why. What more do you want?
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 AM
fordman7795 fordman7795 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
Default Re: Air Intake

Quote:
Yeah, and why you're at it buy some MAF cleaner, cause you're gonna need to clean your MAF every time you service that oil throwing K&N.
With about 200,000 miles driven with K&N filters ive never had a problem with MAF sensors getting dirty. I got my K&N for my 2.3 on ebay for $15. Does it add HP? who knows. Does it add MPG? who knows. Is it the last air filter ill buy for it. Yes
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
corey stevens corey stevens is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 33
Default Re: Air Intake

is k&N a good filter yes . is it beater thin a STP or a fram yes . but i really dont think it is any beater then a oem or oem Quality filter like a wix for example if you want to try and get more power why not get some wrap for your intake . now i am not saying it will make a big difference but it will give you slightly colder air , that and maby some header wrap and you might just and i mean might got a bit more power .
__________________
dam i want to do so much to my ranger . but i am so broke . lol
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 AM
stomper stomper is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13
Talking Re: Air Intake

There's another way to look at it, literaly...
It probably doesn't help power or mpg but it sure looks better. And if it looks better then odds are you feel better about your truck no matter if it helps or not.
Now take this thought and get your wife or girlfriend something that makes them feel better about them self and uh.. maybe enhances their looks. Better chance of finding better performance/response there.
You married guys know what I mean.
Just saying...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM
TerrenceStuart TerrenceStuart is offline
Old man driver.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,895
Default Re: Air Intake

if the OP wants to put a air intake on his truck, let him. it's his truck and his money.
matt was just trying to point out the obvious, in his own style.
__________________
some kind of vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Lifetime DAV Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Re: Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerEash View Post
Don't listen to him^^ do some re search and make one your self you get a little hp if nothing else

You are kidding, aren't you? Let's see some dyno numbers to back up that statement. All these Rangers already have cold air intakes unless someone previously butchered the intake.
Any gains are in your head only.........I have heard people claim they notice more performance changing from conventional oil to synthetic, all in their heads.
__________________
2014 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 STX 9500 miles 18 mpg overall
2015 Ford F150 4x2 Supercab 3.5 TIVCT 13,500 miles 21 mpg overall

Last edited by dvrich; 05-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
VegasRanger02 VegasRanger02 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 416
Default Re: Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
There's another way to look at it, literaly...
It probably doesn't help power or mpg but it sure looks better. And if it looks better then odds are you feel better about your truck no matter if it helps or not.
Now take this thought and get your wife or girlfriend something that makes them feel better about them self and uh.. maybe enhances their looks. Better chance of finding better performance/response there.
You married guys know what I mean.
Just saying...


That is very close to what I am going to say. YES, it is a huge waste of money if you are buy a $200 + K&N "cold air" intake. YES, you will gain no noticable power. However, if you are like any other normal American man, then you like to tinker with your truck and build shit. So, if you consider it your truck your hobby and it brings you happiness, then building your intake for the cost of a good filter and some tubing or what have you is not entirely a waste. If you gain a good time then there is no argument. It will make your engine bay look better and your truck will sound better, which will normally make it worth it because this will make you feel better like said above.

If you buy a kit from manufacturer thats way over priced your wasting money. Do it yourself and you waste nothing if you enjoy that stuff. I suggest an AEM Dryflow Filter. No oil, no mess. They are popular in desert racing, especially by Camburg, because they dont attract dirt like an oil filter. They just bang it on the side of the truck in the middle of races to get some the caked on dirt off lol.


I love how people get so damn but hurt about intakes because they have no functional benefit when I can probably think of a million other things we do that have no true functional benefit but cost money and time yet, sometimes alot, yet no one else flames them for it???? Like LED mods, dont the stock lights work just fine, well than thats a HUGE FUCKING WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY IDIOTS!!! jk lol

We should be more positive on here and educate, not tell them its a waste, because I think a lowered ranger is a waste of a truck, but I dont go telling them what they like is retarded! Let them have a fancy expensive intake with no power, its not coming from your pocket!

END RANT.
__________________
2002 Ranger XLT 3.0
General Grabber AT2 31/10.5/15, 15x7 ATX Slot, Hot girlfriend for passenger seat, Fabtech 2.5", Bilstein 5100, Poly Bumps, JBA Ceramic Coated Headers, Straigh pipe, Throttle Cable Mod, Air Box Mod, 5 Angle Valve Job, 180* Thermostat, Clear corners w/ Amber LEDs, Tinted Tails, 6000K Volt Digital HID Hi/Lo, K&N Drop-In, MAF Mod,
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Lifetime DAV Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Re: Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRanger02 View Post


That is very close to what I am going to say. YES, it is a huge waste of money if you are buy a $200 + K&N "cold air" intake. YES, you will gain no noticable power. However, if you are like any other normal American man, then you like to tinker with your truck and build shit. So, if you consider it your truck your hobby and it brings you happiness, then building your intake for the cost of a good filter and some tubing or what have you is not entirely a waste. If you gain a good time then there is no argument. It will make your engine bay look better and your truck will sound better, which will normally make it worth it because this will make you feel better like said above.

If you buy a kit from manufacturer thats way over priced your wasting money. Do it yourself and you waste nothing if you enjoy that stuff. I suggest an AEM Dryflow Filter. No oil, no mess. They are popular in desert racing, especially by Camburg, because they dont attract dirt like an oil filter. They just bang it on the side of the truck in the middle of races to get some the caked on dirt off lol.


I love how people get so damn but hurt about intakes because they have no functional benefit when I can probably think of a million other things we do that have no true functional benefit but cost money and time yet, sometimes alot, yet no one else flames them for it???? Like LED mods, dont the stock lights work just fine, well than thats a HUGE FUCKING WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY IDIOTS!!! jk lol

We should be more positive on here and educate, not tell them its a waste, because I think a lowered ranger is a waste of a truck, but I dont go telling them what they like is retarded! Let them have a fancy expensive intake with no power, its not coming from your pocket!

END RANT.


What use is this forum if the truth isn't spoken? CAI on Rangers is a waste! A CAI on a 1960-1985 big block muscle car is the whole reason for hood scoops, in that app it is a good thing.
Rangers from 1990(maybe earlier) all have CAI so it is a big waste of $200 and $200 is 3 tanks of gas nowadays!!!!
__________________
2014 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 STX 9500 miles 18 mpg overall
2015 Ford F150 4x2 Supercab 3.5 TIVCT 13,500 miles 21 mpg overall
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
VegasRanger02 VegasRanger02 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 416
Default Re: Air Intake

I said $200 for a manufactured intake system such as K&N is a waste since its expensive and doesnt give any gains. But if you were to build one say for the cost of a good filter ($35-$55) plus tubing (cost here varies) and its something you enjoy doing, then its not a waste, because you had fun and made an aesthetic improvement.

We could then argue that $1000+ set wheels is a waste because it does nothing make your truck looks better (more strength in SOME cases, often not needed by the average person). How many tanks of gas can that buy? An intake makes the underhood look better, right? So, essentaily its the same thing.


Intake gives no performance gains (most cases) = Waste of money

Wheels give no performance gains (most cases) = Waste of money

OR

Wheels make truck look better = Not a waste of money

Intake makes truck look better = Not a waste of money

These are pretty valid analogies, if in fact we cliam that that intakes are a waste of money for no gains or wheels arent a waste of money for better looks. If you set out arguments like so, your gonna find out that ALOT of things people do are a waste of money based on logic and reasoning.

lol, take a philosophy class
__________________
2002 Ranger XLT 3.0
General Grabber AT2 31/10.5/15, 15x7 ATX Slot, Hot girlfriend for passenger seat, Fabtech 2.5", Bilstein 5100, Poly Bumps, JBA Ceramic Coated Headers, Straigh pipe, Throttle Cable Mod, Air Box Mod, 5 Angle Valve Job, 180* Thermostat, Clear corners w/ Amber LEDs, Tinted Tails, 6000K Volt Digital HID Hi/Lo, K&N Drop-In, MAF Mod,
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Lifetime DAV Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Re: Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRanger02 View Post
I said $200 for a manufactured intake system such as K&N is a waste since its expensive and doesnt give any gains. But if you were to build one say for the cost of a good filter ($35-$55) plus tubing (cost here varies) and its something you enjoy doing, then its not a waste, because you had fun and made an aesthetic improvement.

We could then argue that $1000+ set wheels is a waste because it does nothing make your truck looks better (more strength in SOME cases, often not needed by the average person). How many tanks of gas can that buy? An intake makes the underhood look better, right? So, essentaily its the same thing.


Intake gives no performance gains (most cases) = Waste of money

Wheels give no performance gains (most cases) = Waste of money

OR

Wheels make truck look better = Not a waste of money

Intake makes truck look better = Not a waste of money

These are pretty valid analogies, if in fact we cliam that that intakes are a waste of money for no gains or wheels arent a waste of money for better looks. If you set out arguments like so, your gonna find out that ALOT of things people do are a waste of money based on logic and reasoning.

lol, take a philosophy class


Big wheels imho are a waste of money, but they look nice as long as they aren't ghetto wheels......OEM alloy wheels are what I like, especially the Edge 15 inchers. 18"+ wheels with low profile tires on a Ranger look retarded but the USA is all about freedom of choice.
CAI might look nice as long as you drive with the hood open.
I would rather spend $1000 on good looking wheels that are there for everyone to see than $200 for something you only see when you open the hood.
I am not impressed with the K&N filters one bit and their typical MAF fouling if you use a little too much oil.
__________________
2014 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 STX 9500 miles 18 mpg overall
2015 Ford F150 4x2 Supercab 3.5 TIVCT 13,500 miles 21 mpg overall

Last edited by dvrich; 05-02-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
VegasRanger02 VegasRanger02 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 416
Default Re: Air Intake

Some people take pride in their engine compartments.. just like most men take pride in their.. well you know, but you dont walk around with it hanging out lol, but you want it to be impressive when some one does "pop the hood"

lol, but he only has a four cylinder
__________________
2002 Ranger XLT 3.0
General Grabber AT2 31/10.5/15, 15x7 ATX Slot, Hot girlfriend for passenger seat, Fabtech 2.5", Bilstein 5100, Poly Bumps, JBA Ceramic Coated Headers, Straigh pipe, Throttle Cable Mod, Air Box Mod, 5 Angle Valve Job, 180* Thermostat, Clear corners w/ Amber LEDs, Tinted Tails, 6000K Volt Digital HID Hi/Lo, K&N Drop-In, MAF Mod,
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Jim2007 Jim2007 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Default Re: Air Intake

I have put K&N replacement filters in every car we have owned for many many years. I first did it on my 87 Buick Grand National, then my 68 Camaro, then my 97 Z-28 6sp Camaro, then my wifes 97 ES300 Lexus, then my 03 Corvette, then my wifes 07 ES350 Lexus, and now on my 07 Ranger. I did not waste money on the K&N intake system, only the replacement filters that fit in the orginal airbox.

So I speak from experience. First of all if you keeep the vehical for any time period at all you will save money. You will get slightly better gas milage, I did carefull computations on the first 3 cars, (Buick, Z-28 Camaro, Lexus) these were DD. The Grand National turned better than average times on the strip. The Z-28 was a beast on the strip. Now can I honestly say that there is a difference on the Ranger, no. But I plan to keep it as my DD (as we all know Vettes melt in rain) so I will ultimately save money on filters, and I do believe also on mpg.

That's my .02 worth of opinion.

Last edited by Jim2007; 05-04-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling and illogical sentence.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Marine513 Marine513 is offline
Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 427
Default Re: Air Intake

you guys are most likely correct, I would do it for looks over anything hahaha
__________________
White 2001 edge ext. cab. 4x4 4.0 auto. T bars cranked , 26s . Camo center console
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Blacked Out FX4 Blacked Out FX4 is offline
America's Next Photo Geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 647
Default Re: Air Intake

I had made a similar post to this, and I'm not buying and aftermarket intake. Ill keep buying my CarQuest blue line air filter. It has more filter paper than the red line. so it has more surface area to catch particulates. I change them every 10k or after an offroad adventure.
__________________
2006 FX4
Too many things to list but the basics are: 4.0L, 4.10 gears, Limited Slip Differential, Automatic Trans
Check me out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
*individual results may vary
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discuss How To: Air Silencer Removal (Cold Air Intake) STL How-To Submissions 276 12-17-2015 01:09 PM
Intake air on a 4.0 D33RHUNT3R 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 4 11-21-2010 08:33 AM
Air Intake?? a 4L into a 3L?? DRFTNGKNG 3.0 Vulcan Tech 6 11-12-2010 06:07 AM
How To: Air Silencer Removal (Cold Air Intake) STL Engine/Drivetrain Guides 0 11-05-2009 12:32 PM
new air intake 94splash 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 10 09-06-2009 07:22 AM