Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM
riddlped riddlped is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

Ok so i need to buy a new ecu for my 2003 2.3 liter ranger and i am very stumped in it. Basically i am trying to get one off ebay but i can not find one that matches this 3L5a -12A650 -AC. Iv searched all over the place and cant not find one that ends with (AC). If i was to buy one that ends with ad or something close would that work for me. please somebody help me with this i am getting very frustrated and not dealers can give me a answer. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
terryduanemiller terryduanemiller is offline
www.shanewootenband.com
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,896
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

CLICK HERE for eBay link
__________________
MY BUILD THREAD
1999 MAZDA 2500SE, 2.5L 4-clanger, 5 speed, Green n slow. Rangers as daily drivers since 1988.
ASE Certified Mechanic, Builder of Show Destroying Protouring and Classic cars..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM
riddlped riddlped is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

so will this be a plug in and go or will it have to be re flashed to run correctly? Also the first 4 digits are different from mine is that a problem
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM
terryduanemiller terryduanemiller is offline
www.shanewootenband.com
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,896
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

cld be a difference in yrs? i dnt know,
__________________
MY BUILD THREAD
1999 MAZDA 2500SE, 2.5L 4-clanger, 5 speed, Green n slow. Rangers as daily drivers since 1988.
ASE Certified Mechanic, Builder of Show Destroying Protouring and Classic cars..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 AM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlped View Post
Ok so i need to buy a new ecu for my 2003 2.3 liter ranger and i am very stumped in it. Basically i am trying to get one off ebay but i can not find one that matches this 3L5a -12A650 -AC. Iv searched all over the place and cant not find one that ends with (AC). If i was to buy one that ends with ad or something close would that work for me. please somebody help me with this i am getting very frustrated and not dealers can give me a answer. Thank you
how do you know the ECU is bad?
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 AM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

Why on earth do you need a new computer. Before you waste your money, tell use why and we'll probably tell you it has nothing to do with the computer.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM
riddlped riddlped is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

I power washed my engine with a really high pressure washer and got water into the computer. iv replaced all my plugs bought a new coil and new coil wires. We pulled the computer to find water was in it so we let it dry out and it does drive a lot better. But i just feel like something may have got fried in the computer. Any advice would be great though thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

Do you have any Codes? Any pending codes? Does your CEL come on with all the other lites when you turn the key?. What are your symptoms? Did you call a Dealer and ask if they could test it for you?

----------

Any chance the powerwasking messed up a vacuum line? You have a vacuum line/elbow somewhere that fails

----------

Any chance the powerwasking messed up a vacuum line? You have a vacuum line/elbow somewhere that fails
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
jfive jfive is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

If you ever have an electronic device get water in it, go get some rice and put the device in the rice to pull the water out of it. As far as computers go, 98 to 2001.5 are all the same, but you probubly want to make sure the truck is fairly the same. Like 5 speed if thats what you have, a/c if you have a/c. Ect ect. Try ford direct for parts, or car-parts.com, or rockauto.com Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlped View Post
I power washed my engine with a really high pressure washer and got water into the computer. iv replaced all my plugs bought a new coil and new coil wires. We pulled the computer to find water was in it so we let it dry out and it does drive a lot better. But i just feel like something may have got fried in the computer. Any advice would be great though thanks
Wait a minute. You dried it out and now everything works fine? But you want to replace it anyway?
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM
riddlped riddlped is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

no i dried it out and it work much better but not 100%. the rpm's still stutter but not as much as before.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: 2003 2.3 ecu problem please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
Do you have any Codes? Any pending codes? Does your CEL come on with all the other lites when you turn the key?. What are your symptoms? Did you call a Dealer and ask if they could test it for you?

----------

Any chance the powerwasking messed up a vacuum line? You have a vacuum line/elbow somewhere that fails

----------

Any chance the powerwasking messed up a vacuum line? You have a vacuum line/elbow somewhere that fails
I guess you dont like these Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlped View Post
no i dried it out and it work much better but not 100%. the rpm's still stutter but not as much as before.
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I never had a problem with my 2003 ford ranger edge pickup...a week ago i didnt get a 524SUPPORT General Tech 5 02-08-2011 10:47 PM
2003 4-cyl power problem ruphous4 4-Cylinder Tech 1 05-17-2010 08:29 AM
Ecu? ~Fast*Life~ Electrical Tech 2 02-09-2010 01:27 PM
Ranger 2003 (2,5L Diesel) problem heze1982 4-Cylinder Tech 2 02-07-2010 07:48 AM
new member - ranger problem 2003 -3.0L diamondx General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 12-15-2009 02:17 PM