Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
jlsooner jlsooner is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Unhappy Barely Idle

My 96 Ranger has been down for 3 months and I'm baffled. I was going home from work on the highway at about 60mph when the truck started deaccelerating. It came to a stop and I had to have it towed home. It will idle but just barely. The check engine light is not on and no codes are stored. It acts like it's starved for gas. I checked all the plugs. I changed the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump. I checked the coil packs. I unbolted the exhaust to make sure the converter wasn't restricted. I replaced all the vaccum lines to the intake. I removed and cleaned the throtle body. I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone help? Has anyone had the same problem?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM
stephensimmons stephensimmons is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 87
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsooner View Post
My 96 Ranger has been down for 3 months and I'm baffled. I was going home from work on the highway at about 60mph when the truck started deaccelerating. It came to a stop and I had to have it towed home. It will idle but just barely. The check engine light is not on and no codes are stored. It acts like it's starved for gas. I checked all the plugs. I changed the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump. I checked the coil packs. I unbolted the exhaust to make sure the converter wasn't restricted. I replaced all the vaccum lines to the intake. I removed and cleaned the throtle body. I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone help? Has anyone had the same problem?
Did you check your timing belt? What engine do you have?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 AM
jlsooner jlsooner is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensimmons View Post
Did you check your timing belt? What engine do you have?
It has a 2.3L motor. I forgot to add that I also put a new timing belt on it. The timing belt was the first thing I replaced. The belt was split in 2 and half of it was wrapped around the crankshaft pulley. I originally thought that was the problem. I thought it had jumped time. Anyway it still would just barely idle with the new belt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 AM
stephensimmons stephensimmons is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 87
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsooner View Post
It has a 2.3L motor. I forgot to add that I also put a new timing belt on it. The timing belt was the first thing I replaced. The belt was split in 2 and half of it was wrapped around the crankshaft pulley. I originally thought that was the problem. I thought it had jumped time. Anyway it still would just barely idle with the new belt.
Do a compression test and let me know the numbers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsooner View Post
My 96 Ranger has been down for 3 months and I'm baffled. I was going home from work on the highway at about 60mph when the truck started deaccelerating. It came to a stop and I had to have it towed home. It will idle but just barely. The check engine light is not on and no codes are stored. It acts like it's starved for gas. I checked all the plugs. I changed the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump. I checked the coil packs. I unbolted the exhaust to make sure the converter wasn't restricted. I replaced all the vaccum lines to the intake. I removed and cleaned the throtle body. I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone help? Has anyone had the same problem?
does your CEL come on when you turn the key to run? have you at any point done a fuel pressure test? have you pulled the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator to look for gas in it? have you checked to see what kind of a spark You have? DID YOU LOOK IN THE AIR BOX FOR SOMETHING THAT MIGHT HAVE RESTRICTED THE INTAKE?
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
jlsooner jlsooner is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensimmons View Post
Do a compression test and let me know the numbers
I am out of town at the moment. I will check it and get back with you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM
jlsooner jlsooner is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
does your CEL come on when you turn the key to run? have you at any point done a fuel pressure test? have you pulled the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator to look for gas in it? have you checked to see what kind of a spark You have? DID YOU LOOK IN THE AIR BOX FOR SOMETHING THAT MIGHT HAVE RESTRICTED THE INTAKE?
Yes on the CEL. Yes on the fuel pressure test. Yes, no gas in it but I did replace it with a new one. I have good spark. There are no restrictions in the air box. I think I'm going to recheck the timing one more time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2010, 04:09 AM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: Barely Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsooner View Post
Yes on the CEL. Yes on the fuel pressure test. Yes, no gas in it but I did replace it with a new one. I have good spark. There are no restrictions in the air box. I think I'm going to recheck the timing one more time.
what was the koeo, koer pressure and how how much did the pressure drop in 5 minutes
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
:::2.5L Idle Issues NDL 4-Cylinder Tech 6 07-19-2010 09:52 AM
Idle? 01DangerRanger 3.0 Vulcan Tech 8 05-05-2010 07:57 AM
Barely Starting Salasb 4-Cylinder Tech 3 03-31-2010 11:38 PM
shaking at idle sully Other Engine Tech 6 01-09-2010 03:43 PM
Rough Idle Jimmyboiii 4-Cylinder Tech 5 08-24-2009 05:01 AM