Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 AM
joshuahack joshuahack is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Default No Fuel Pressure

1999 manual 4 cylinder. Truck wouldn't start one day last week. Sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and got it to start, but idled very poorly for about 10 seconds then died. Found out I wasn't getting fuel pressure the the engine with a gauge on the Schrader valve. I could hear the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key to acc, so thought maybe it was just the filter. Changed it, no luck. Changed out the fuel pump this weekend, no luck. Engine cranks and cranks but won't turn over and still says I'm not getting any fuel pressure. Only thing I can think is maybe I need to change out the fuel line itself. I know the fuel pumps in these things give a lot of people trouble, but haven't been able to find a solution in the forums. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM
stateranger stateranger is offline
Mr H....A....P...P....Y👿
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,898
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

How sure are you that the pump is turning on? If it is did you change just the pump or the whole unit?
__________________
2014 F150 xl 3.7 6 speed auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9298 View Post
HELL TO THE NO!! Abort abort abort!! That's the first thing to go!!! Ewwwww! I'm not no vampire! I don't enjoy red tea
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM
joshuahack joshuahack is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

I changed the whole unit. I'm pretty sure I can hear it kick on for a few seconds when I turn the key, but I've been doing it myself, so I haven't had my ear down to it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2015, 04:08 PM
MNRANGER2002 MNRANGER2002 is offline
Murica
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 231
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Is this an aftermarket engine? I wasn't aware they put carbs on a 1999 ranger

----------

Also first check to make sure you're getting voltage to the pump. If not check the relay and fuse.
__________________
2002 XLT Extended Cab 4.0
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:22 AM
tomw0 tomw0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 751
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

You may have two pumps. One is the 'lift pump', in the tank, the other the 'high pressure' pump attached to the side of the frame, underneath the cab.
I would borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure after cycling the ignition from OFF to ON to OFF several times. The pressure should build and hold, at least for a while. If not, you still have pump problems.
You should be able to hear the pump run. Open the door, and stick a foot on the door jamb switch for the buzzer and interior lights while turning the key ON. You should hear a pump whine for 3-5 seconds. If not, check relays, the 'rollover' switch on the passenger side footwell right up under the glove box, and wiring & connectors.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 AM
smokinAMD smokinAMD is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 995
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
You may have two pumps. One is the 'lift pump', in the tank, the other the 'high pressure' pump attached to the side of the frame, underneath the cab.
I would borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure after cycling the ignition from OFF to ON to OFF several times. The pressure should build and hold, at least for a while. If not, you still have pump problems.
You should be able to hear the pump run. Open the door, and stick a foot on the door jamb switch for the buzzer and interior lights while turning the key ON. You should hear a pump whine for 3-5 seconds. If not, check relays, the 'rollover' switch on the passenger side footwell right up under the glove box, and wiring & connectors.
He won't have a lift or a high pressure pump....it's not a diesel.

Only 1 pump, inside the tank.
__________________
2013 Ford Focus SE hatch (Titanium without NAV and with manual tranny) - My daily driver
2015 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 ecoboost- Wife's
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 Supercab Off-Road Stepside - Project / hauler / off-road toy / bug out vehicle - 3 inch body lift, 2006 tails, Bilstein 4600's, Morimoto bi-xenon retrofit, mustang domelight, LED's everywhere, 285/75/16 Revo's, UWS toolbox, proper hitch, proper spray in bedliner, tinted windows, lots of elbow grease
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 AM
stateranger stateranger is offline
Mr H....A....P...P....Y👿
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,898
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRANGER2002 View Post
Is this an aftermarket engine? I wasn't aware they put carbs on a 1999 ranger

----------

Also first check to make sure you're getting voltage to the pump. If not check the relay and fuse.
He meant throttle body.
__________________
2014 F150 xl 3.7 6 speed auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9298 View Post
HELL TO THE NO!! Abort abort abort!! That's the first thing to go!!! Ewwwww! I'm not no vampire! I don't enjoy red tea
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
joshuahack joshuahack is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

I did mean the throttle body, sorry. And I believe I only have one pump, the one in the fuel tank, which is the one I changed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2015, 11:59 AM
stateranger stateranger is offline
Mr H....A....P...P....Y👿
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,898
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Thats the only pump you have.
__________________
2014 F150 xl 3.7 6 speed auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9298 View Post
HELL TO THE NO!! Abort abort abort!! That's the first thing to go!!! Ewwwww! I'm not no vampire! I don't enjoy red tea
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2015, 12:21 PM
R4u2 R4u2 is offline
The Old Man...
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 327
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

You ranger should have the 2.5 L 153 CID L4 SOHC fuel injected engine with only one lift pump in the tank. There should be 3 or 4 wires going to the lift pump with the only difference being a single ground or two ground wires separating the pump and sending unit, otherwise the Pink/Black is the pump (+) and the purple is the sending unit (+) for the fuel gauge. Verify the Pink/Black -fuel pump + power and Purple-fuel gauge as it could be different colors on your vehicle.

After connecting your fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail locate the fuel pump relay.
bypass the fuel pump relay to power the pump constantly (your key will only run the pump for a few seconds then it will shut off if the engine isn't running). Jumper 12 VDC positive (+) to the fuel pump run wire (Should be the Pink/Black wire -> VERIFY THE WIRE COLOR IS CORRECT) You can do this at the fuel tank but you will need to supply the ground as well.
Once the fuel pump is running you should gauge around 50-60 PSI as a constant at the fuel rail while the pump is running. The pump is capable of 80-100PSI which you will see at the start-up of the pump and then the fuel regulator will lower the pressure.
If you have pressure and no immediate fuel pressure gauge bleed-off after the pump is turned off your fuel pump is fine. If you turn off the fuel pump and your fuel pressure gauge drops quickly you may have a leak or your fuel pressure regulator is defective.

If your truck will try to start by sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body you have a fuel deliver problem. If you hear your pump turn on your fuel relay and fuse are functioning properly.

My guess it your fuel pump is defective, check and make sure when you replace the fuel pump into the assembly you didn't crack the output tube on the top of the pump where the pump power connector is, verify the gasket is in place as well. If you pull you tank down again check it for flow before you reinstall the tank. While you have the tank down fill it with fuel, safely (NO SPARKS) power the pump and make sure it's flowing fuel out of the main fuel line.

I wish you the best luck...
__________________
96 Ranger Ext 3.0 | 04 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad 5.9 D | 85 Chev Short bd | 69 Vett Convt 427 WIP | 06 325i, 08 5501, 08 X5 & 06 M5

Last edited by R4u2; 10-28-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 AM
tomw0 tomw0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 751
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

The first EFI Lima engined Rangers had two pumps. I don't track when they decided one was enough, so my comment that he MAY have two pumps is just a note to those who are ignorant of the combination they sold back when.
If you didn't know, you could change in-tank pumps all week long, and still not have adequate pressure.
Knowledge Is Power, no?

tom

FWIW, it may be easier to raise the bed than drop the tank. Your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahack View Post
1999 manual 4 cylinder. Truck wouldn't start one day last week. Sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and got it to start, but idled very poorly for about 10 seconds then died. Found out I wasn't getting fuel pressure the the engine with a gauge on the Schrader valve. I could hear the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key to acc, so thought maybe it was just the filter. Changed it, no luck. Changed out the fuel pump this weekend, no luck. Engine cranks and cranks but won't turn over and still says I'm not getting any fuel pressure. Only thing I can think is maybe I need to change out the fuel line itself. I know the fuel pumps in these things give a lot of people trouble, but haven't been able to find a solution in the forums. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Sounds strange that you got zero fuel out of 2 pumps. Make sure the pump kicks on. If not check relay, inertia switch and fuse? Do you have a theft light?
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-2015, 03:44 PM
joshuahack joshuahack is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Well I took the hose off the pump today and turned the key and it squirted some gas out of the pump, which tells me it's working. The only thing I can think is maybe a clog in the hose up closer to the engine. Or maybe I'm just checking the pressure incorrectly? I just put the gauge on the schrader valve and cycled the pump a few times, showed no pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 PM
smokinAMD smokinAMD is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 995
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

May not be using the right adapter on the schrader valve. My fuel pressure testing kit has something like 100 damn adapters in it.
__________________
2013 Ford Focus SE hatch (Titanium without NAV and with manual tranny) - My daily driver
2015 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 ecoboost- Wife's
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 Supercab Off-Road Stepside - Project / hauler / off-road toy / bug out vehicle - 3 inch body lift, 2006 tails, Bilstein 4600's, Morimoto bi-xenon retrofit, mustang domelight, LED's everywhere, 285/75/16 Revo's, UWS toolbox, proper hitch, proper spray in bedliner, tinted windows, lots of elbow grease
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-2015, 04:20 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default Re: No Fuel Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahack View Post
Well I took the hose off the pump today and turned the key and it squirted some gas out of the pump, which tells me it's working. The only thing I can think is maybe a clog in the hose up closer to the engine. Or maybe I'm just checking the pressure incorrectly? I just put the gauge on the schrader valve and cycled the pump a few times, showed no pressure.
Cycle the key a few times. Put a rag over the schrader valve and push the valve in with a screwdriver. Does gas come out?
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel filter, fuel pump, pressure

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Releasing fuel system pressure before fuel pump change? dillong How-To Submissions 4 07-30-2014 07:49 AM
Fuel Pressure...Fuel pump problem? EarlJamesKennedy General Tech 1 12-16-2012 04:03 PM
fuel pressure and fuel pump problems with 1994 ranger 2.3L hollybear 4-Cylinder Tech 6 11-10-2012 03:56 PM
New fuel low pressure fuel pump non-working gas gauge. Nick13 2.9 Liter Tech 0 08-17-2012 10:41 AM
fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump fedupdon 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 3 04-02-2011 07:04 AM