Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 PM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by riscorpian View Post
Was your A/C on? That click was probably just the compressor clutch kicking in.
It was, but that definitely wasn't the ac compressor. I could hear/see that happening. This noise seemed to be coming from under the intake area.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-04-2015, 08:05 PM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Here ya go. I uploaded the video.

__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-05-2015, 04:30 AM
GSF1200S GSF1200S is offline
Wrist Twister
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 990
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Plugs and wires absolutely can be the cause of misfires. Its good those are gone, but you need to put a full drive cycle on to be sure.

Either way, the IMRC code is prolly due to the actuator arm and socket on the back of the intake manifold disconnecting. Its plastic and wears out, then you get the p1537 code. So definitely replace the intake manifold when you get it- you will notice an increase in low end power when you replace it and those butterflies start working as intended.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, 2.3L Duratec I4, 5-speed manual, 4.10 gears, ~100,000 miles
Power nothing with air conditioning; crank windows for life!
Throttle cable mod, retained accessory power mod, 2006 thermostat w/resistor mod
Headlight relay harness, Philips xtreme-vision bulbs
P235/75R15 Michelin LTX M/S2s
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Auto parts store closed at 6 tonight, so I thought I would dust off my frustration with my ultra gauge and give the ol' girl another chance. I talked to her a little bit, we sorted out our differences and I plugged her in. She started to work just like normal. So I go over to the CEL codes section and she tells me the ignition must be on. Well, the ignition was on. So I start the truck, reset the scanner and same story. Ignition must be on. So I turned the truck off, turn the key all the way back to power, and you guessed it. Ignition must be on. One last ditch effort before I dump this girl for good, I turned the key on and reset the gauge one last time. Seems she went back to her old ways and wouldn't even connect this time. I'd had enough of this whiny bitch so I gently unplug her from my obd2 port, and gracefully launch her towards the trash can.

lol sorry for the deep insight of my relationship with my ultra gauge that ended up being absolutely no help to this thread, but I've had enough with that stupid thing. Pretty off topic, but do any of you guys have any recommendations for a scanner? I've seen videos of the Blue Driver unit that hooks up to your smart phone or tablet and i have taken a liken to it, but would like some other opinions.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer

Last edited by KyBucks10; 07-05-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 PM
GSF1200S GSF1200S is offline
Wrist Twister
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 990
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBucks10 View Post
Auto parts store closed at 6 tonight, so I thought I would dust off my frustration with my ultra gauge and give the ol' girl another chance. I talked to her a little bit, we sorted out our differences and I plugged her in. She started to work just like normal. So I go over to the CEL codes section and she tells me the ignition must be on. Well, the ignition was on. So I start the truck, reset the scanner and same story. Ignition must be on. So I turned the truck off, turn the key all the way back to power, and you guessed it. Ignition must be on. One last ditch effort before I dump this girl for good, I turned the key on and reset the gauge one last time. Seems she went back to her old ways and wouldn't even connect this time. I'd had enough of this whiny bitch so I gently unplug her from my obd2 port, and gracefully launch her towards the trash can.

lol sorry for the deep insight of my relationship with my ultra gauge that ended up being absolutely no help to this thread, but I've had enough with that stupid thing. Pretty off topic, but do any of you guys have any recommendations for a scanner? I've seen videos of the Blue Driver unit that hooks up to your smart phone or tablet and i have taken a liken to it, but would like some other opinions.
Havent had any issues with mine. Maybe a phone call to them to see if theyll replace it? Ive noticed that when I first hook it up the engine must be running. After that, it turns itself on and off when I start it and stop it. Not sure why it needs the engine to be running the first time. Heard others mention the key only need be on. Sounds to me like yours is defective.

Its an awesome unit (when it works apparently). Just seems a shame to throw away 70 bucks or so- they should fix, replace, or reprogram it. I know that they have allow a software upgrade for up to a year after purchase so long as you send it in. Might see if you can get the issue fixed while they upgrade it.

Keep an eye out for lean and misfire codes- dont assume only the p1537 code is present.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, 2.3L Duratec I4, 5-speed manual, 4.10 gears, ~100,000 miles
Power nothing with air conditioning; crank windows for life!
Throttle cable mod, retained accessory power mod, 2006 thermostat w/resistor mod
Headlight relay harness, Philips xtreme-vision bulbs
P235/75R15 Michelin LTX M/S2s
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-06-2015, 04:08 PM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Update:

Well some good news to report. Checked the tracking number on the new intake this morning, and it's sitting at the post office. I'll be able to pick it up in the morning. Also, it just so happens that the branch I'm helping out at will have some extra staff tomorrow, so I'll be able to stay at my branch. This will give me the perfect opportunity to run my truck over to the shop tomorrow to get the new intake installed.

Also, I ran by the parts store tonight. P1000 code is now gone, but the P1537 is still present, and the P0171 code came back. At least I was able to solve the misfire code with new plugs and wire.

What are the chances that the new intake will take care of both P1537 and P0171?
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-06-2015, 04:16 PM
GSF1200S GSF1200S is offline
Wrist Twister
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 990
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBucks10 View Post
Update:

Well some good news to report. Checked the tracking number on the new intake this morning, and it's sitting at the post office. I'll be able to pick it up in the morning. Also, it just so happens that the branch I'm helping out at will have some extra staff tomorrow, so I'll be able to stay at my branch. This will give me the perfect opportunity to run my truck over to the shop tomorrow to get the new intake installed.

Also, I ran by the parts store tonight. P1000 code is now gone, but the P1537 is still present, and the P0171 code came back. At least I was able to solve the misfire code with new plugs and wire.

What are the chances that the new intake will take care of both P1537 and P0171?
Possible especially if the intake manifold gaskets are hosed and are allowing a leak.

Also, im not sure how the pcm calculates when the truck is running lean. The fuel maps on a 01-03 duratec are designed to expect the IMRC system to work right. The butterflies being closed will "richen" the mixture below 3k rpm. If the butterflies are stuck open, that cant happen. The only option the pcm has is to try and use fuel trims to richen the mix to get the right a/f ratio. However, if it meets 20% (long term fuel trim positive 20) the computer will trip the CEL. Perhaps when you replace the manifold, the IMRC working will allow the a/f ratio to be right. Of course, if that cap popped off that will be fixed by the new manifold as well.

Let us know
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, 2.3L Duratec I4, 5-speed manual, 4.10 gears, ~100,000 miles
Power nothing with air conditioning; crank windows for life!
Throttle cable mod, retained accessory power mod, 2006 thermostat w/resistor mod
Headlight relay harness, Philips xtreme-vision bulbs
P235/75R15 Michelin LTX M/S2s
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 PM
riscorpian riscorpian is offline
The Projectionator
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 860
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

The PCV hose is a common failure-point on most engines after a while, and the Duratec is no exception. Both the valve and hose are beyond the usual pain-in-the-neck to get to, so see if you can get those replaced while the manifold is off. That makes is astronomically easier to get to. I don't remember the price on the hose, but the PCV valve is like $3. It's hilariously cheap. And with the valve, hose, and manifold replaced, all of the most common vacuum leaks are eradicated. Again, vacuum leaks are the #1 cause of the P0171 code on this motor.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger XLT
2.3L I4 Duratec DOHC, 5R44E 5-speed auto, RWD, 7.5" Open w/ 4.10 Ratio, Gibson split-rear catback
Sonic Blue Pearl with dark gray trim
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 AM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by riscorpian View Post
The PCV hose is a common failure-point on most engines after a while, and the Duratec is no exception. Both the valve and hose are beyond the usual pain-in-the-neck to get to, so see if you can get those replaced while the manifold is off. That makes is astronomically easier to get to. I don't remember the price on the hose, but the PCV valve is like $3. It's hilariously cheap. And with the valve, hose, and manifold replaced, all of the most common vacuum leaks are eradicated. Again, vacuum leaks are the #1 cause of the P0171 code on this motor.
Noted. Just called the shop and added this to the grocery list. A whopping $10 extra dollars haha. Truck should be ready this afternoon. I'll check back tonight with an update once I put a few miles on the new parts.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Mini Update:

The difference is close to astronomical. I feel like I have a brand new truck. It idles normal, it shifts perfectly, rpms aren't acting crazy like they were before. Granted, I've only put 4 miles on it since I only drove back to work, but dang those were the smoothest 4 miles I think I've ever had in this truck. The CEL is still on, but I think I'm just going to have the parts store clear the codes and then see if the light comes back on. Regardless if it does, I'll get the codes checked after a week or so to make sure nothing is showing anymore. I truly hope and pray this solves the issues I've been having. The wife is tired of hearing me complain about my truck, and I'm sure she's tired of me spending money on it haha

----------

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. The dude at the shop called me and asked if my ac had quit working. Well it did just a few days ago. Apparently the plate on the front of the compressor had popped off and was laying down by the radiator and the mechanic just so happen to notice it laying down there. By the grace of god I didn't lose it after 300 miles or so of driving and he was able to put a new bolt in it and save the day with my ac. Little stuff like that is what really makes me appreciate the shop I go to, and makes the decision easier when I'm trying to decide if $70 is even worth getting my hands dirty.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer

Last edited by KyBucks10; 07-07-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 PM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Update:

I hope yall aren't getting tired of these. Well, the truck is driving what seems like flawlessly. Everything I described earlier was true for the 40 or so miles I put on her around town and down some country roads tonight. Before I took off driving though, I talked the guy at the auto parts store into clearing the codes for me (apparently that's against policy?) and off I went. Well I run over to a buddy's farm and we chat for a while. I go to leave, fire up the truck, and sure enough, my arch nemesis is back. The ol' CEL. I run over to the parts store once again (I'm fairly certain the dude there is getting tired of me. I don't even have to walk in. He's usually walking out the door with the scanner by the time I park). He checks the codes and my old friend P1537 is back along with the P1000. *sigh* What am I to do now? Can yall give me the run down on how exactly the intake manifold runner control system works? I mean, I get the gist of it based off what you guys have said in this thread, but what do I need to do in order to fix it? I looked at it tonight, and it didn't look like new vacuum lines were added at the shop, but at the same time, they didn't seem to be in bad shape. They actually felt and looked pretty solid. Should I bite the bullet on the 3 dollars worth of vacuum lines and replace them anyway? I know that obviously wouldn't hurt my situation, but what if that's not my problem? What do I do next?
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 AM
GSF1200S GSF1200S is offline
Wrist Twister
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 990
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBucks10 View Post
Update:

I hope yall aren't getting tired of these. Well, the truck is driving what seems like flawlessly. Everything I described earlier was true for the 40 or so miles I put on her around town and down some country roads tonight. Before I took off driving though, I talked the guy at the auto parts store into clearing the codes for me (apparently that's against policy?) and off I went. Well I run over to a buddy's farm and we chat for a while. I go to leave, fire up the truck, and sure enough, my arch nemesis is back. The ol' CEL. I run over to the parts store once again (I'm fairly certain the dude there is getting tired of me. I don't even have to walk in. He's usually walking out the door with the scanner by the time I park). He checks the codes and my old friend P1537 is back along with the P1000. *sigh* What am I to do now? Can yall give me the run down on how exactly the intake manifold runner control system works? I mean, I get the gist of it based off what you guys have said in this thread, but what do I need to do in order to fix it? I looked at it tonight, and it didn't look like new vacuum lines were added at the shop, but at the same time, they didn't seem to be in bad shape. They actually felt and looked pretty solid. Should I bite the bullet on the 3 dollars worth of vacuum lines and replace them anyway? I know that obviously wouldn't hurt my situation, but what if that's not my problem? What do I do next?
Im not tired of your updates- I consider long standing problems like this a challenge Pretty sure most of us in the tech forums are that way...

P1000 isnt really a code- it just means your testing isnt complete. Notice that the lean code hasnt showed up yet, and neither has the misfire code- those are the two most important ones, so youre making progress.

We can be reasonably certain with a new intake manifold that the IMRC butterflys, actuator arms, and vacuum slave are all working. Now we have to look at whats left.

First, look behind the intake manifold and make sure he plugged the IMRC slave electrical connector in (you had this done somewhere, correct?). When I changed my intake I was in such a hurry to hear how quiet it was I forgot to plug it in- I too got a p1537. Plugged it in, reset the light, never came back.

Second, we need to verify that the IMRC vacuum solenoid is working properly. If it isnt, im sorry to say it is pretty expensive- 100+ if memory serves me correctly. Pull the vacuum line off the IMRC slave at the back of the intake manifold. With the truck running at idle, check to see if you have vacuum at that hose. If you dont, the vacuum solenoid is likely bad- its a small deal located right below the intake manifold and above the coolant hose headed forward towards the thermostat- you cant miss it. When this part works correctly, it allows vacuum to pass until about 3000 rpm where it cuts vacuum; since the manifold is designed to normally have the IMRC butterflies open, once the solenoid cuts vacuum the butterflies open allowing more airflow for the then higher rpm the engine is running.

So basically, an overview looks like this:
Engine off: IMRC butterflies are open.
Start engine: engine supplies vacuum and the PCM sends a signal to the IMRC vacuum solenoid to open since rpm are below 3k. Solenoid opens, vacuum travels to IMRC butterfly slave on the back of the intake manifold. Butterflies close (well 3/4 of the way at least), and added turbulence in airflow causes better a/f mixture.
Push go pedal: Butterflies stay closed as the engine reaches 3k, where the IMRC solenoid gets the signal to close off vacuum. Once vacuum is closed, the IMRC slave can no longer hold the butterflies shut, and so they open.

This system really and truly sucks. I cant believe any engineer would actually sign off on this. My truck functions perfectly with no codes, great mileage, etc- but I can still tell when the IMRC system opens the butterfly at 3k or so- with the A/C on its noticeable enough that it literally feels like a form of V-tech (hondas vvt implementation of sorts). If I ever do engine mods to this truck, im going to do this:

1) get the intake manifold, cams, exhaust manifold, and pcm from a 2004 or newer ranger 2.3l.
2) get the newer style intake hose (along with newer style maf sensor, etc)
3) install all of it
4) be very happy I no longer have the crappy IMRC system on my truck.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, 2.3L Duratec I4, 5-speed manual, 4.10 gears, ~100,000 miles
Power nothing with air conditioning; crank windows for life!
Throttle cable mod, retained accessory power mod, 2006 thermostat w/resistor mod
Headlight relay harness, Philips xtreme-vision bulbs
P235/75R15 Michelin LTX M/S2s
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2015, 07:58 AM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Okay, sorry for the couple days of lag time. I've been slammed busy at work and home. GFS1200S, I greatly appreciate your reply. I will read it several times over so that I can really learn and remember all that you said.

By the way, I had the codes ran again last night. The only code left is P1537, so that's good news. I'll play around some more and try to get that fixed as well. I'll check back with updates once I do.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-20-2015, 04:17 PM
KyBucks10 KyBucks10 is offline
"That's what" -She
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Well, no real updates to post. Only thing that might be of interest is that I surpassed 1500 miles today since post #9 when work started requiring me to drive to the other branch. She's still running good with no complaints. I've been meaning to look at the solenoid to see if the shop possibly left it unplugged, but 12 hours of work/driving everyday really takes its toll and I haven't felt like popping the hood. That being said, it should be self explanatory that the CEL is still on.

Side note on the subject of the IMRC. I ran across this video when I was considering do the work myself. I didn't plan on removing the butterfly valves, but what do you guys think of this?

__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed

1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 I4 Engine Stock Transmission Regular Cab Short Bed
RIP Thread

How To Fix Your Odometer
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-20-2015, 06:14 PM
GSF1200S GSF1200S is offline
Wrist Twister
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 990
Default Re: CEL, codes, high idle, ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBucks10 View Post
Well, no real updates to post. Only thing that might be of interest is that I surpassed 1500 miles today since post #9 when work started requiring me to drive to the other branch. She's still running good with no complaints. I've been meaning to look at the solenoid to see if the shop possibly left it unplugged, but 12 hours of work/driving everyday really takes its toll and I haven't felt like popping the hood. That being said, it should be self explanatory that the CEL is still on.

Side note on the subject of the IMRC. I ran across this video when I was considering do the work myself. I didn't plan on removing the butterfly valves, but what do you guys think of this?

https://youtu.be/gRXRMHl34Ho
Doing that will prevent the IMRC system from working and you will have less torque at lower RPM. I would only do that if I was converting to an 04+ manifold, camshaft, PCM, and exhaust manifold. Dont give up now dude- youre so close

Before doing anything rash and removing the butterflies, etc, lets try to find out the solution. When you get time, theres only 4 possible remaining issues: the IMRC solenoid is bad, the wiring/connector to the IMRC solenoid is bad, one of the vacuum lines is unplugged, or the IMRC slave wiring/connector is bad. None of these should take over a half hour to fix once you figure out which one is the problem..

Understand youre working a ton of hours- totally do. When you get some time, try what I mentioned above.

1) Check on top of the IMRC at the back of the manifold to make sure its plugged in.
2) Run the engine and see if the vacuum hose at the IMRC slave has vacuum. If it doesnt, its the IMRC vacuum solenoid or the wiring to that solenoid.

Get back to us- once we know the results of these checks we should be able to guide you to a solution. If I was in your area id look at it myself- I have a vengeance against this system!
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, 2.3L Duratec I4, 5-speed manual, 4.10 gears, ~100,000 miles
Power nothing with air conditioning; crank windows for life!
Throttle cable mod, retained accessory power mod, 2006 thermostat w/resistor mod
Headlight relay harness, Philips xtreme-vision bulbs
P235/75R15 Michelin LTX M/S2s
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light (CEL)/OBD-II trouble codes bdillard77 General Tech 16 06-23-2014 10:27 AM
Ranger high idle CEL on bleachedbeaner 4-Cylinder Tech 5 05-18-2014 07:58 AM
Must Read For ABS light and Codes mamonti Wheels and Tires 2 04-12-2013 06:47 PM
ABS light/CEL - no speedometer computersoc 4-Cylinder Tech 38 03-06-2013 05:47 AM
Strange Idle Issue with no codes or CEL googs185 3.0 Vulcan Tech 4 10-28-2011 07:30 AM