Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Engine Tech Forum > 6-Cylinder Tech > 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20
Default Weird shakes while idling.

I'm not sure what's going on. I just replaced the radiator on my ranger bcuz it overheated and cracked the old one. Also a new thermostat, so not sure if that is what caused the problem. When I start my truck, it barely idles at 500 rpm and it shakes. Like the whole truck is trying super hard to stay running. Lots of white smoke coming outta the muffler. Even after it runs for awhile, if I come to a stop light or stop sign, it shakes again. Are my heads warped? MAF problems? No check engine light has come on, but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it. Help
__________________
C. Crites
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 43
Default Re: Weird shakes while idling.

Hello,
I was thinking about joining this forum for a while now, your thread inspired me to do so as I might be able to help since I experience similar problems in my 02 Escape with 3.0 Duratec.

Easiest and costless fix would be taking out the Idle Air Control Valve and clean it very good. Make sure there is nothing in it and NO WATER before you put it back in.
In our shop we use Wurth Brake and Parts cleaner, good stuff if you could lay your hands on something like this and an air hose to give it good blow thru that would be great.
Hopefully that solves the problem. If not we will have to keep on looking. Other possible things might be faulty plugs, injectors, coils
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
I'm not sure what's going on. I just replaced the radiator on my ranger bcuz it overheated and cracked the old one. Also a new thermostat, so not sure if that is what caused the problem. When I start my truck, it barely idles at 500 rpm and it shakes. Like the whole truck is trying super hard to stay running. Lots of white smoke coming outta the muffler. Even after it runs for awhile, if I come to a stop light or stop sign, it shakes again. Are my heads warped? MAF problems? No check engine light has come on, but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it. Help
Cracked head gasket. Had this happen to me and I just ignored it until my motor blew. Stop driving it, pull the heads off and replace the gasket and anything else you need to.
__________________
1998 Ranger XLT
3.slow Auto
"One-off" mid travel kit pulling 14" of travel.
Bedcage with 2.0x14" Bilsteins
30" BFG AT's soon to be replaced with 33s of some sort.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Thank you guys for the help had my check engine light came on yesterday, cylinder 6 misfire, so I'm hoping that's all I need to do is replace the plugs. Really hoping the heads aren't cracked or warped. My truck needs to get smogged next month. Seems like I always have problems the week before I have to take it in. Thank you guys again. Really appreciate it.
__________________
C. Crites
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 371
Default Re: Weird shakes while idling.

If you're getting the white smoke from the tailpipe, it could either be condensation, or you did either crack the heads, or the head gasket. If it's leaking then it could cause the #6 misfire, so try the plug but if it's not that then you should get the heads checked out with a compression test.
__________________
95 Ranger Xlt Supercab 2x4 Auto 4.0 128k
99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Auto 4.0 153k
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Default Re: Weird shakes while idling.

I had the same problem. I wasted a lot time trouble shooting the wrong things when I should have got a test done. I was told I have a bad or stuck valve, but not really sure where to go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Is the compression test when they put the vile with blue liquid in the radiator and if the blue liquid turns green, I'm effed??
__________________
C. Crites
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM
The tool man.
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Weird shakes while idling.

The compression test is when they remove the sparkplugs install a pressure guage,crank the engine over,and take a pressure reading for each cylinder.
__________________
Speed is just a question of money,so how fast do you wanna go.
1998 ford ranger splash.
2.5 liter 4cyl with a thrush muffler.5 speed manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9298 View Post
HELL TO THE NO!! Abort abort abort!! That's the first thing to go!!! Ewwwww! I'm not no vampire! I don't enjoy red tea
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateranger View Post
The compression test is when they remove the sparkplugs install a pressure guage,crank the engine over,and take a pressure reading for each cylinder.
Gotcha.... I had a cylinder 6 misfire. New plugs are in it now and it's running better, not great, but better. And of course, one problem fixed and another arises.. Purdy sure my starter is going out now.
__________________
C. Crites
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
The tool man.
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Weird shakes while idling.

Cool, let us know if you find the other issue.
__________________
Speed is just a question of money,so how fast do you wanna go.
1998 ford ranger splash.
2.5 liter 4cyl with a thrush muffler.5 speed manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9298 View Post
HELL TO THE NO!! Abort abort abort!! That's the first thing to go!!! Ewwwww! I'm not no vampire! I don't enjoy red tea
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 51
Default Re: Weird shakes while idling.

I hate to rain on the parade but I would say at least one or maybe both of your heads are cracked seeing that you said it got overheated before. I just got done putting a complete top end on my 99 4.0 OHV and it started out by saying cly. 6 misfire and then the whitish smoke and off and on missing. I put a new plug in no. 6 and it ran for a while and then back missing off and on. Hoefully it is just a head gasket but be sure when you have the head off check and make sure the head is or isn't cracked.
__________________
1999 Ranger 4.0 OHV, xlt, 4x4, auto,
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman1 View Post
I hate to rain on the parade but I would say at least one or maybe both of your heads are cracked seeing that you said it got overheated before. I just got done putting a complete top end on my 99 4.0 OHV and it started out by saying cly. 6 misfire and then the whitish smoke and off and on missing. I put a new plug in no. 6 and it ran for a while and then back missing off and on. Hoefully it is just a head gasket but be sure when you have the head off check and make sure the head is or isn't cracked.
Please, by all means, rain on my parade. I just want to get my ranger running good again. I think you're right about the heads. Ill have to get those fixed again.
__________________
C. Crites
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
case of the shakes silverdeath Suspension Tech 0 01-21-2013 06:39 AM
Drivers window shakes going down merlin215 General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 07-30-2011 01:08 PM
Shakes at 55mph Joe Garfield Wheels and Tires 5 07-23-2010 10:18 PM
my engine shakes CLOS99 3.0 Vulcan Tech 4 07-15-2010 09:20 AM
Shes got the SHAKES! godbout.t General Tech 0 07-13-2010 02:48 PM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.