Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
bigcountry bigcountry is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 264
Default haha K%N suck on the 4.0

well on another fourm im on a guy bought a kn CAI for his 4.0 and well ill let yall see for yoursleves http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=72979
it only goes to prove my point that you dont need a CAI for your truck

ENJOY!!
__________________
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
General Geroge S Patton
2007 3.0
automatic trans, 4.10s with L/S
ported and polished TB
4brand new speakers with inslation in doors
smoked tail lights
20%tint on driver and passenger windows
5% tint on back window
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
lownslow95 lownslow95 is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Default

I haven't been on TRS in a while, but good to hear that I don't have a CAI from them, even though I have a 3.0 V6.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
rockwerks rockwerks is offline
Mazda B4000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslow95 View Post
I haven't been on TRS in a while, but good to hear that I don't have a CAI from them, even though I have a 3.0 V6.
This is true for ANY of the aftermarket CAI's, actually should be called HAI (hot air intakes) LOL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default

I have to say that dyno test was not accurate. Like many said he did not reset the ECU and it was not setup like he was driving. There was no air flowing into the front of the truck like he was going down the road

Reset the ECU and have a Fan blowing across the front of the truck and lets see the numbers.
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
RangerJustin RangerJustin is offline
~+!)@(#*$&%^
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,033
Send a message via AIM to RangerJustin Send a message via Skype™ to RangerJustin
Default

Glad I never dropped the $ on one of those.
__________________
Sold:2004 XLT 4x2 Ext. Cab. 3.0 Mods: 3" spindle, AAL, shackle, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, billet grille, clear corners, flow 40 dumped, line-x, CB/PA, traction bars, lil sound system, auto up down windows
Sold:2005 XLT 4x4 Ext. Cab. 4.0 Mods: ProComp lights w/ HID swap on tabs, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, CB/PA, black out heads/corners, lil sound system, cranked t-bars, flow 40 dumped, line-x, shell, bed rug, 06+ tails, metal tail gate handle since plastic one shattered, OHC, Mustang Dome.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
rockwerks rockwerks is offline
Mazda B4000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
I have to say that dyno test was not accurate. Like many said he did not reset the ECU and it was not setup like he was driving. There was no air flowing into the front of the truck like he was going down the road

Reset the ECU and have a Fan blowing across the front of the truck and lets see the numbers.
Where these cone filters sit is behind the solid part of the front radiator cross member. air flow through the radiator will do little to help, many are even sorta sealed away from the radiator flow. They don't work any better than the stock true cold air intake
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
Where these cone filters sit is behind the solid part of the front radiator cross member.
Mine does not it sits right behind the headlight and there is a large opening from removing the stock airbox
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
rockwerks rockwerks is offline
Mazda B4000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
Mine does not it sits right behind the headlight and there is a large opening from removing the stock airbox
Yes but where it sits it does not get direct flow (laminar) but turbulent flow which actually creates less flow than the air that the stock unit pulls in from outside at highway speeds

The only way to improve over the factory system would be to encase the new filter in the stock air box and massively increase the cold air intake from the front of the truck to increase the air flows. The artermarket units mostly just pull in hot air from the compartment
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
camodown camodown is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,842
Default

I just have a hi-flow cone filter on my stock intake and the only reason that is there is because I like the sound it makes when you accelerate and it was in my old truck.
__________________
Lifted and junk

Double Lifted Rangers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
rockwerks rockwerks is offline
Mazda B4000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown View Post
I just have a hi-flow cone filter on my stock intake and the only reason that is there is because I like the sound it makes when you accelerate and it was in my old truck.
LOL my kinda guy!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default

I would really like to get my truck on a dyno. Since I have more than just a K&N intake

I would like to run with the stock air box and then run with the K&N and see if there is a difference
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
I have to say that dyno test was not accurate. Like many said he did not reset the ECU and it was not setup like he was driving. There was no air flowing into the front of the truck like he was going down the road

Reset the ECU and have a Fan blowing across the front of the truck and lets see the numbers.
ECU is in open loop during a run.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default

There is more than meets the eye here. Logging Torque and WHP is a pretty limited view of whats going on. When I do a run I also include pinouts like Knock, AFR, Advance, CT, AIT. Even heatsoaking can pull enough timing to give the difference you have on here. Either way the K&N is a waste of money.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
Yes but where it sits it does not get direct flow (laminar) but turbulent flow which actually creates less flow than the air that the stock unit pulls in from outside at highway speeds

The only way to improve over the factory system would be to encase the new filter in the stock air box and massively increase the cold air intake from the front of the truck to increase the air flows. The artermarket units mostly just pull in hot air from the compartment
What's important is laminar flow at the MAF on speed density systems. Turbulent flow = shwoosh noises.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
bigcountry bigcountry is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 264
Default

my whole point is why go spend money something that is just noise and a shinny tube if you want that you can do it for less than 300bucks. and get everything just like a K&N offers cept the power and tq
__________________
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
General Geroge S Patton
2007 3.0
automatic trans, 4.10s with L/S
ported and polished TB
4brand new speakers with inslation in doors
smoked tail lights
20%tint on driver and passenger windows
5% tint on back window
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
93 ranger build... lots to do over a long time haha beaujt Project Logs 7 11-26-2009 11:02 PM
93 ranger, my first love haha 93ranger30 Introduce Yourself 1 05-12-2009 02:12 PM
again haha beaujt Introduce Yourself 10 05-06-2009 11:46 PM