Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default 4.0 overheating

well today the truck overheated for the first time since we replaced the thermostat about 2 months ago. not sure whats wrong with it. i drove my truck up to the recycling bins about 6 blocks away, let it idle with my defroster on about medium. got back in it, and saw that the gauge was pegged and the "check gauge" light was on. so i shut the truck off for about a minute and the needle started going down back to normal. thought it was fixed. nope. drove over to the store about 100 yrds away, it over heated on my way over but not all the way to pegged. shut the truck off, went in for 10 minutes. came out, truck was back down to normal. drove over to the gas station directly across the street, was there for 5 minutes, truck was at normal. on my way back home, it was normal up until i got about 4 blocks away then it started climbing again, so i hauled ass home and parked it. checked the coolant level and it was full, but upon checking it, i discovered it was kind of brown, almost as if it had mud in it. what could be my problem? i dont think its the thermostat just because its so new, but then again it was acting like it was the thermostat. any advice or ideas would be great. thank you. it is a 2000 4wd 4.0 ext. cab step side. thanks again
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
klinger86 klinger86 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,970
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

i would check the water pump to see if that's the problem.... and check to make sure you dont have any air in the system i have replaced something to do with the cooling system before and thought i got all of the air our just to find that i didn't.... have you ever flushed the cooling system before?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Teg360 Teg360 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 466
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

water pump maybe
__________________
2002 Ranger Xlt Ext. Fx4
Mods: AEM Brute Force air intake, Throttle body spacer, dual exhaust, leveling kit, 3in body lift, 15x8 black pacer rims wrapped with 33x12.5xr15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Hella 500 offroad lights, cobra cb with wilson 1000 antenna, Sony head unit, 500 watt amp with 12inch sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
Baby steps.
I think we made good progress today.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinger86 View Post
i would check the water pump to see if that's the problem.... and check to make sure you dont have any air in the system i have replaced something to do with the cooling system before and thought i got all of the air our just to find that i didn't.... have you ever flushed the cooling system before?
ya, it was flushed after we replaced the thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg360 View Post
water pump maybe
you think? ah shit. thats expensive. lol
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM
klinger86 klinger86 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,970
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

then i would say it's either a shot water pump or a blown headgasket..... but the brown coolant could be from where it got extremly hot....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Teg360 Teg360 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 466
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

maybe not to sure you need to find out for sure just somethin to check
__________________
2002 Ranger Xlt Ext. Fx4
Mods: AEM Brute Force air intake, Throttle body spacer, dual exhaust, leveling kit, 3in body lift, 15x8 black pacer rims wrapped with 33x12.5xr15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Hella 500 offroad lights, cobra cb with wilson 1000 antenna, Sony head unit, 500 watt amp with 12inch sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
Baby steps.
I think we made good progress today.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinger86 View Post
then i would say it's either a shot water pump or a blown headgasket..... but the brown coolant could be from where it got extremly hot....
i will check the water pump. hopefully its not a blown head gasket. i dont feel like pulling the top end of my motor... lol
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
klinger86 klinger86 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,970
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

i'm hopin it's just the water pump for ya.... it sucks having to tear the engine down for the head gaskets....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinger86 View Post
i'm hopin it's just the water pump for ya.... it sucks having to tear the engine down for the head gaskets....
thanks man. lol. ya, i know. i remember my dad doing it pretty much after every pass he made out at the race track with his old 1970 dodge challenger. literally would blow a head gasket after each pass. lol. that thing went through more head gaskets than ive seen in my entire life. hahaha
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:42 PM
klinger86 klinger86 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,970
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstcarkid View Post
thanks man. lol. ya, i know. i remember my dad doing it pretty much after every pass he made out at the race track with his old 1970 dodge challenger. literally would blow a head gasket after each pass. lol. that thing went through more head gaskets than ive seen in my entire life. hahaha
my dad races a 70's model challenger to... lol small world.... they found it at a jy and when they pulled it in the shop the tubs had rusted trough so bad that you could sit in the wheel well and poke your head up through the trunk.... lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinger86 View Post
my dad races a 70's model challenger to... lol small world.... they found it at a jy and when they pulled it in the shop the tubs had rusted trough so bad that you could sit in the wheel well and poke your head up through the trunk.... lol
lol. my dads was in really good condition for a 70, had a little bit of rust, then he restored the outside and painted it an even brighter orange. his ran an 8.90 at 157 mph, that was the fastest past it ever made, up at Kansas city International Raceway
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
klinger86 klinger86 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,970
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

my dads was hemi orange forever and then they decided to paint it canary yellow when neon tubes first came out and they threw a set of them on there and the last time i seen it it was viper red with viper orange and viper yellow blended in on it.... havent seen it in a couple of years though... i cant remember what his fastest pass was on it at the moment.... may have to take a couple weekends off and go to the track....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinger86 View Post
my dads was hemi orange forever and then they decided to paint it canary yellow when neon tubes first came out and they threw a set of them on there and the last time i seen it it was viper red with viper orange and viper yellow blended in on it.... havent seen it in a couple of years though... i cant remember what his fastest pass was on it at the moment.... may have to take a couple weekends off and go to the track....
thats what color my dads was, then he repainted it and through a 6 pack hood on it. he always ran bfg goodwrench radials. never would through a set of slicks on it. it was fast as hell for a street car.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Botta Ranger Botta Ranger is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 240
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

With the engine cold, start it and remove the radiator cap. Fluid should just vibrate for a while. You should be able to see when the thermostat opens and antifreeze begins to circulate if not pull the replacement thermostat and test in a pan of water on the stove. Sometimes you can see a stream of exhaust bubbles from a head gasket or cracked head.

Last edited by Botta Ranger; 04-26-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
fstcarkid fstcarkid is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Default Re: 4.0 overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botta Ranger View Post
With the engine cold, start it and remove the radiator cap. Fluid should just vibrate for a while. You should be able to see when the thermostat opens and antifreeze begins to circulate if not pull the replacement thermostat and test in a pan of water on the stove. Sometimes you can see a stream of exhaust bubbles from a head gasket or cracked head.
i'll be sure to check it out. thanks
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
ya, i can be a dick, dont like it? put a bullet in ur brain
its hard to find good help

"i used to sell, i know pot math"- smakes
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with overheating 3.0 litng1 3.0 Vulcan Tech 15 04-02-2011 08:06 PM
overheating need help? jesssed 3.0 Vulcan Tech 2 12-18-2010 06:26 PM
another overheating stvtackett 3.0 Vulcan Tech 2 08-26-2010 01:02 PM
could this cause my overheating? wangbungal General Tech 4 07-20-2010 08:57 PM
overheating SVTFOCUSO3 4-Cylinder Tech 3 09-26-2009 12:16 PM