Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Tanner B Tanner B is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
Default 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

hey guys i have a 2002 ford ranger edge 4wd with a v6 4.0L. I have had a reoccurring problem where my engine has gotten really hot. It has over heated once and the other few times was when it just got really hot, I took it to a shop and they put a new thermostat in it, everything seemed fine until it got really hot again. I need to fix this fast because i have a long travel trip ahead of me and need my truck running like its exposed to be.

My gas pedal seems sticky and hard to push, my engine seems louder then normal and when its cold it squeaks while starting up. im out of ideas of what it could be but im also not fully mechanically inclined and thats why i need help. my friend recommended taking the thermostat out to keep the engine constantly cool and he said it would solve it but with a new thermostat and its still getting hot once in awhile then i don't think the thermostat is the real answer.

the mechanic says i need a new fan clutch soon to because my fan has a lot of play in it plus if i don't fix it soon it can ruin my water pump, which could be a possible problem and may have already happened but im not sure

sorry if this post is so long but im confused and frustrated and am running out of solutions. please help anyway you can because it is much appreciated!

thank you!

-Tanner
__________________
'02 edge 4wd
- Fog Light Mod

PNW Crew
My style is so fresh, Febreze just called me to do a commercial...DAMN!

A Lion wouldnt cheat...but a Tiger Wood!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:37 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Not sure, but it might help with the engine and pedal if you clean the MAF, the IAC, and the throttle body.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...ow-sensor.html

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...ttle-body.html

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...r-control.html
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Tanner B Tanner B is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
Not sure, but it might help with the engine and pedal if you clean the MAF, the IAC, and the throttle body.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...ow-sensor.html

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...ttle-body.html

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...r-control.html


thanks for the quick response lol ill try these out and hopefully it will help or be a start
__________________
'02 edge 4wd
- Fog Light Mod

PNW Crew
My style is so fresh, Febreze just called me to do a commercial...DAMN!

A Lion wouldnt cheat...but a Tiger Wood!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Yeah, sorry I've never had to deal with an engine overheating so I'm not the best person to answer that part of it.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Tanner B Tanner B is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
Yeah, sorry I've never had to deal with an engine overheating so I'm not the best person to answer that part of it.

anything helps man thanks!

im getting horrible gas mileage too...hopefully this will solve it or help
__________________
'02 edge 4wd
- Fog Light Mod

PNW Crew
My style is so fresh, Febreze just called me to do a commercial...DAMN!

A Lion wouldnt cheat...but a Tiger Wood!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Here are some things to check.
Do you have heat?
Do you have heat when the truck overheats?
Do you smell anitfrezze when the defrost is on?

Stiff pedal could be the mechanical linkage on the throttle body needs lube.

Clutch Fan going out... Doubt it but could happen. Don't let the shop soak you for $600 to fix it. You can get a new Clutch hub for it for like 60.

To check your water pump there a few things you can do. When the truck is at operating temp, grab the hoses to the radiator.

Are they both hot/warm? upper and lower.

Feel the radiator... Is there cold spots in it?

These test will confirm that the pump is working or not working.

And remember pumps are mechanical and they rarely fail. If they do its most likely the bearing that fails.

----------

Also, the fan "would be bad" to a mechanic if it is locked up. This will absolutely have NO effect on your motor other than it may be loud. If this is the case, do not let them charge you for a new one. I have never heard of a clutch fan loosing all the fluid that make it work so that it would not spin.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install

Last edited by pooleo; 12-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner B View Post
anything helps man thanks!

im getting horrible gas mileage too...hopefully this will solve it or help
Not sure how many miles are on yours and when the last time you did a tune up was, but if it has been a while/never then I would give it a complete tune up. Change the spark plugs, fuel filter, clean everything out, see if you need to flush/replace any fluids, etc. I just bought my truck with 121k miles on it and I did all of this in not too long of a time period. I don't think the spark plugs were ever changed and the gap for them was huge.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Tanner B Tanner B is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
Here are some things to check.
Do you have heat?
Do you have heat when the truck overheats?
Do you smell anitfrezze when the defrost is on?

Stiff pedal could be the mechanical linkage on the throttle body needs lube.

Clutch Fan going out... Doubt it but could happen. Don't let the shop soak you for $600 to fix it. You can get a new Clutch hub for it for like 60.

To check your water pump there a few things you can do. When the truck is at operating temp, grab the hoses to the radiator.

Are they both hot/warm? upper and lower.

Feel the radiator... Is there cold spots in it?

These test will confirm that the pump is working or not working.

And remember pumps are mechanical and they rarely fail. If they do its most likely the bearing that fails.

----------

Also, the fan "would be bad" to a mechanic if it is locked up. This will absolutely have NO effect on your motor other than it may be loud. If this is the case, do not let them charge you for a new one.


my heat is fine and pumps out alot of heat, when my truck is getting really hot my heater still works fine, is that what you mean?

thats one problem i have is i dont have alot of money to repair it if its something big and i dont wanna take it to a shop and tell em i know nothing but something is wrong because then that will just allow them to screw me which i wont let happen lol

i have off roaded this truck and put it through the motions but nothing stupid and over board, this is my daily driver so i do look out for it and dont push it. I cant see anything being a major repair etc but not sure, im just trying to stay positive.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
Not sure how many miles are on yours and when the last time you did a tune up was, but if it has been a while/never then I would give it a complete tune up. Change the spark plugs, fuel filter, clean everything out, see if you need to flush/replace any fluids, etc. I just bought my truck with 121k miles on it and I did all of this in not too long of a time period. I don't think the spark plugs were ever changed and the gap for them was huge.
my truck has about 126,000 miles on it, so it has been driven but nothing extreme extreme. Before i bought it i had a pre buyer inspection and they said the engine looks solid etc and when i bought it i got a tune up but not sure of the quality. I have off roaded and got on the truck a few times so i may need another tune up.
__________________
'02 edge 4wd
- Fog Light Mod

PNW Crew
My style is so fresh, Febreze just called me to do a commercial...DAMN!

A Lion wouldnt cheat...but a Tiger Wood!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Something to check also would be if the cooling system build pressure rapidly after starting. I know by the time it warms up there is pressure. I'm talking like start up a cold truck, grab the upper rad hose. Is it hard like a rock..? You should be able to squeeze it a little.

I had a sebring jxi that did this thing. Water pumped work. Thermostat was new. Had good heat. Turned out that there was a crack in the exhaust part of the head/valve/water jacket...somewhere anyhow.

This was pumping exhasut gas into the radiator, cause the hose to be hard. It would take about 10 miles of driving before it would start to overheat.

A shop can test this for you, they put something in the radiator cap opening and will test for exhaust gas. Its cheap and easy test to do. But check on the hard hose thing
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Tanner B Tanner B is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
Something to check also would be if the cooling system build pressure rapidly after starting. I know by the time it warms up there is pressure. I'm talking like start up a cold truck, grab the upper rad hose. Is it hard like a rock..? You should be able to squeeze it a little.

I had a sebring jxi that did this thing. Water pumped work. Thermostat was new. Had good heat. Turned out that there was a crack in the exhaust part of the head/valve/water jacket...somewhere anyhow.

This was pumping exhasut gas into the radiator, cause the hose to be hard. It would take about 10 miles of driving before it would start to overheat.

A shop can test this for you, they put something in the radiator cap opening and will test for exhaust gas. Its cheap and easy test to do. But check on the hard hose thing


i will definatley thanks! im gonna check all this tomorrow so ill let everyone know whats up.
__________________
'02 edge 4wd
- Fog Light Mod

PNW Crew
My style is so fresh, Febreze just called me to do a commercial...DAMN!

A Lion wouldnt cheat...but a Tiger Wood!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
fairlaneguy fairlaneguy is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

Check your coolant in the radiator and see if there is oil floating in it, also check your oil and see if there is any water, that would mean you have a blown head gasket, which will also cause overheating.
__________________
2005 FX4 Level 2 Ranger 4.0L
97 F350 Powerstroke
1964 &66 Fairlanes
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Tanner B Tanner B is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
Default Re: 4.0L V6 troubles need help fast!

UPDATE:

hey guys i drained and refilled my radiator and also put in royal purple purple ice radiator coolant additive, i drained the radiator once and the reservoir was still full, then i used water and a radiator flush liquid and after that I drained it again and the reservoir drained with it, so im thinking something was just clogging it but coolant was bright green so no oil

i also changed the oil filter and oil, i took it out to the woods after it all and didn't have a problem with the temperature, the only time it got hot was when i was on it and revving it to 5500 trying to get through some tough stuff but even that didn't get it that hot

after all that i was driving it normal on the roads tonight and it got a little warm after stop and go traffic, i kept the heat off and saw what it could do and after pushing it a little bit to see how hot it got and kept driving it, it didn't overheat, it did get really warm but not overheating temp, i think i just need to spray out my radiator with the hose to get any possible mud out of it to help it breathe?
__________________
'02 edge 4wd
- Fog Light Mod

PNW Crew
My style is so fresh, Febreze just called me to do a commercial...DAMN!

A Lion wouldnt cheat...but a Tiger Wood!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast and the furious The fast 5 Dcrymes99ranger Music/Movies/Computers/etc. 23 10-25-2011 07:55 PM
Help! 2.0L Carborator troubles deathtone65 4-Cylinder Tech 0 11-18-2010 11:26 AM
Landlord Troubles stephen Off Topic 36 11-02-2010 04:19 PM
A/C troubles mag3129 Interior Tech 5 07-23-2010 10:08 AM
Tranny Troubles cspeir Drivetrain Tech 8 07-10-2009 09:13 AM