Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
MRV MRV is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Question Priorities...

I recently bought a 2003 4x4 Supercab (4.0L) with about 107,000 miles on it. Today I took it to an independent shop for an inspection, thinking that I was perhaps in need of a new clutch, or maybe U-joints. Here's their list of things that need to be done. Can you help me prioritize them? What order would you do them in? Although I had planned on doing my own oil changes (as I do on my '07 Mustang GT) I don't plan to do these repairs myself.

In no particular order...
1. Right rear shock is leaking. Replace rear shocks...$275.
2. Serpentine belt should be replaced...$107.
3. Front pinion seal is leaking...$230.
4. Coolant needs to be flushed (PH of 7.0)...$92.
5. Brake fluid is dirty...$93.
6. Oil pan gasket is leaking...$880.
7. Worn transmission mount. Replace engine and transmission mount...$117.
8. Perform driveshaft slip yoke TSB fix...$150.

Thanks!
MRV
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Priorities...

1. Serpintine belt
2. Oil Pan Gasket
3. Coolant Flush
4. Pinion Seal
5. Tranny Mount
6. Slip Yoke
7. Brake Fluid
8. Rear Shocks
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Priorities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV View Post
I recently bought a 2003 4x4 Supercab (4.0L) with about 107,000 miles on it. Today I took it to an independent shop for an inspection, thinking that I was perhaps in need of a new clutch, or maybe U-joints. Here's their list of things that need to be done. Can you help me prioritize them? What order would you do them in? Although I had planned on doing my own oil changes (as I do on my '07 Mustang GT) I don't plan to do these repairs myself.

In no particular order...
1. Right rear shock is leaking. Replace rear shocks...$275.
2. Serpentine belt should be replaced...$107.
3. Front pinion seal is leaking...$230.
4. Coolant needs to be flushed (PH of 7.0)...$92.
5. Brake fluid is dirty...$93.
6. Oil pan gasket is leaking...$880.
7. Worn transmission mount. Replace engine and transmission mount...$117.
8. Perform driveshaft slip yoke TSB fix...$150.

Thanks!
MRV

honestly if you can change your oil you can do most of these yourself such as, shocks (2 bolts, one on top one on bottom), serpentine belt (3/8" drive ratchet to move tensioner), coolant flush , replace brake fluid and bleed system as well as the slip yoke service (grease the splines)

dont let them soak you for all that money for things you can do yourself for much less. as far as priority, none of the issues are really that serious so i would start with what you cant tackle yourself than do the other stuff yourself when you have time to.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: Priorities...

First off, wow, $880 to replace an oil pan gasket! Ok, basically you should figure out what is really bad and what is still in not too terrible shape. I would first check the serpentine belt and see if it is about to snap or if it just has a few cracks. For the things that are leaking, I would figure out how bad they are leaking. Also, if you can change the oil you can flush the coolant; it's not very difficult.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Brianxlt Brianxlt is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Default Re: Priorities...

the belt, coolant, and brake fluid are an easy fix if you do them yourself and a lot less $$, shocks are not hard ether as for the oil pan gasket leaking when you change the oil take the pan off and change the seal. $880???

I would do these first, then driveshaft and mounts (they could be a bad thing if not taken care of)

if you are going to pay someone else I would do the driveshaft and mounts first, and maybe the belt if its really that worn. (again these could be a bad thing if not taken care of)
__________________
Lead, Follow or get out of my way!
2010 XLT 4x2 4 dr Super Cab
4.0L SOHC, 5 speed auto, Auto dim mirror w/ home link/remote start,
Chorme Bug gard, Ultragauge, window vents
Next - Bed liner
Suprise, Az - Retired but working
Canon 7D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianandlea/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM
dixie_boysles dixie_boysles is offline
5.Oh All the way

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,581
Send a message via Yahoo to dixie_boysles
Default Re: Priorities...

a shop has NEVER seen my truck and that has been though oil changes, front crank seal to go out, rear pinion seal to go out, TPS to mess up and the water pump to mess up
__________________
2014 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4
275/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W | Shorty Antenna | Tinted Windows | ProClip Phone Mount |5.0 v8 |Tow Package | Oxford White


Sold/Totaled: 2006 Ranger XLT 2D SuperCap 4x4 Torch Red
15x8 Pacer 164P Polished Wheels | 31x10.50 BFG ATs | Level II Tow Hooks | FX4 Red Insert Seats
Tinted Windows | 6000K HIDs | Kobalt Low Profile Toolbox | Pioneer Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
MRV MRV is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Default Re: Priorities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
1. Serpintine belt
2. Oil Pan Gasket
3. Coolant Flush
4. Pinion Seal
5. Tranny Mount
6. Slip Yoke
7. Brake Fluid
8. Rear Shocks
That's exactly what I wanted (although not necessarilly in that order!)...

I had them do the serpentine belt. They want to do the rear shocks next... claim that delaying that will cause wear on the tires and other suspension components. They said to do the oil pan gasket last, due to the cost (saying it's $880 because they have to lift the engine off its mounts to get the pan off).

I know I could do several of these items myself... I just don't have time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Priorities...

hell I can fly out to your place and fix the gasket. For 500! icluding airfare!!
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search