Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Ranger.Ryan Ranger.Ryan is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Default 92-4.0- wtf!?

Hi all,
Wtf just happened?
Driving home from work going 65mph
Step on gas peddle engine revs but no acceleration in speed
Step again... revs no acceleration .
Pull off to the side
Shut engine off
Turn key to start...
Starter spins but doesn’t seem to catch anything
Truck won’t fire.
Attempt to start truck many more times
Outcome the same.
Towed home
Dead battery.
Check codes but it’s been restarted so nada.

Last edited by Ranger.Ryan; 07-06-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Dirtman Dirtman is offline
Whats this do?
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 497
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Maybe it haunted?
__________________
The banjo is the most romantic of all musical instruments.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2019, 01:33 PM
msarnovsky70 msarnovsky70 is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 126
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Sounds more like a broken flywheel


Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Dirtman Dirtman is offline
Whats this do?
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 497
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Then how did he restart it?

Not that its easy to read that nonsense but the last part says it was restarted...
__________________
The banjo is the most romantic of all musical instruments.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Ranger.Ryan Ranger.Ryan is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
maybe it haunted?
loooool

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarnovsky70 View Post
Sounds more like a broken flywheel


Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Flexplate? Itís auto trans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
Then how did he restart it?

Not that its easy to read that nonsense but the last part says it was restarted...
Restart as in when I went to check code... using a paper clip at the eec test ports... the only feedback it was giving me was the engine is a V6 and from what I have read when a battery disconnects from terminals it resets error codes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Dirtman Dirtman is offline
Whats this do?
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 497
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Well that makes more sense. The flexplates can and do break on automatics. Generally it's accompanied by the sounds of throwing marbles in a trash compactor though...

You wouldnt get a CEL with a broken flexplate because as far as the engine is concerned nothing happened. The computer doesn't know it's no longer connected to the transmission.

Remove the starter and spin the ring gear... if you can turn it by hand then you found your problem.
__________________
The banjo is the most romantic of all musical instruments.

Last edited by Dirtman; 07-06-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Ranger.Ryan Ranger.Ryan is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
Well that makes more sense. The flexplates can and do break on automatics. Generally it's accompanied by the sounds of throwing marbles in a trash compactor though...

You wouldnt get a CEL with a broken flexplate because as far as the engine is concerned nothing happened. The computer doesn't know it's no longer connected to the transmission.

Remove the starter and spin the ring gear... if you can turn it by hand then you found your problem.
Took the starter off was able to reach in and spin the gear with very little resistance using my finger tips... if thatís the case what broke!?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:40 PM
tomboy tomboy is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,772
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger.Ryan View Post
Took the starter off was able to reach in and spin the gear with very little resistance using my finger tips... if thatís the case what broke!?

Most likely it cracked just outside of the bolt circle that holds it to the crankshaft. Being jagged it held for a spell, then the corners rounded off then nothing. Be sure to check the torque convertor for damage before putting it back togather.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Dirtman Dirtman is offline
Whats this do?
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 497
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Yup, they snap apart at the crankshaft. Good time to replace the rear main seal while you have the transmission out...
__________________
The banjo is the most romantic of all musical instruments.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2019, 12:24 PM
msarnovsky70 msarnovsky70 is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 126
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

Sorry for not being PC enough. I called it a flywheel earlier.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Ranger.Ryan Ranger.Ryan is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Default Re: 92-4.0- wtf!?

It was the flexplate
Sheered right off in the center.
Also two large stress fractures.
Canít thank you all enough.
Cheers men!
- Ranger.Ryan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search