Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 PM
that_one_guy23 that_one_guy23 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Default Need help diagnosing a couple issues

I need some help figuring out whats going on with my truck. I have a 96 ranger xlt, with the 4.0 ohv standard transmission. Sorry in advance if this doesnt make much sense.
A couple days ago i stopped at a friends house. as im pulling up with the truck in neutral it starts surging kinda like it was running out of gas. I had shut the truck off for a couple hours, when i was leaving the truck was running fine, my gas gauge said there was a 1/4 tank, i thought maybe the gauge had gone out on me. so i put some gas in. the next day I ended up making a 40 minute trip to the nearest wal-mart, on my way back home my truck started surging, the whole time its doing this i can smell gas. it finally dies and i pull onto the shoulder of the road. i started looking for any obvious signs of a gas leak, couldn't see anything. I call my dad to come tow me to his house. he shows up and brings a code reader. at that time the truck had been throwing codes.
The first was "throttle position sensor circuit low"
Second one "throttle position sensor inconsistent with mass air flow sensor"
Third one "lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch- sensor indicates lean- Bank No. 1"
The fourth one" Evaporative Emissions control system- vacuum system- purge control solenoid or purge control valve fault"

back to the story. Made it to my dads house, we start looking at possibilities, (Maf sensor, Tps Sensor) I climb under the truck and start pulling the fuel filter to see if it had gotten clogged, as soon as i got the line coming from the tank off the filter it started spraying gas from the filter.(it had a lot of Pressure Built up). get the filter out and blew out whatever may have been in there.. put the filter back in truck fires right up and seems to be running perfect.. made the trip back home just fine till i get to town and have to slow down. as soon as i let off the throttle peddle to slow down it started surging again...

Sorry its so long, I just feel every detail is important.
Also I'm at a complete loss. ill be replacing the Tps sensor, Maf Sensor and the fuel and air Filters

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-17-2018, 12:36 AM
12 Deg North Industries 12 Deg North Industries is offline
Vehicle Upfitters
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
Default Re: Need help diagnosing a couple issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy23 View Post
I need some help figuring out whats going on with my truck. I have a 96 ranger xlt, with the 4.0 ohv standard transmission. Sorry in advance if this doesnt make much sense.
A couple days ago i stopped at a friends house. as im pulling up with the truck in neutral it starts surging kinda like it was running out of gas. I had shut the truck off for a couple hours, when i was leaving the truck was running fine, my gas gauge said there was a 1/4 tank, i thought maybe the gauge had gone out on me. so i put some gas in. the next day I ended up making a 40 minute trip to the nearest wal-mart, on my way back home my truck started surging, the whole time its doing this i can smell gas. it finally dies and i pull onto the shoulder of the road. i started looking for any obvious signs of a gas leak, couldn't see anything. I call my dad to come tow me to his house. he shows up and brings a code reader. at that time the truck had been throwing codes.
The first was "throttle position sensor circuit low"
Second one "throttle position sensor inconsistent with mass air flow sensor"
Third one "lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch- sensor indicates lean- Bank No. 1"
The fourth one" Evaporative Emissions control system- vacuum system- purge control solenoid or purge control valve fault"

back to the story. Made it to my dads house, we start looking at possibilities, (Maf sensor, Tps Sensor) I climb under the truck and start pulling the fuel filter to see if it had gotten clogged, as soon as i got the line coming from the tank off the filter it started spraying gas from the filter.(it had a lot of Pressure Built up). get the filter out and blew out whatever may have been in there.. put the filter back in truck fires right up and seems to be running perfect.. made the trip back home just fine till i get to town and have to slow down. as soon as i let off the throttle peddle to slow down it started surging again...

Sorry its so long, I just feel every detail is important.
Also I'm at a complete loss. ill be replacing the Tps sensor, Maf Sensor and the fuel and air Filters

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated
First off before you go throwing parts at your truck in order to fix itself lets look at whats going on. All the sensors involved point to an issue with fuel as a common denominator here.

Your TPS sensor will give a code same as the O2 sensor in Bank 1 if the MAF sensor is dirty or is faulty and or if the Purge Solenoid is clogged or bad.

I would replace your fuel filter just because, its likely overdue and for $11 its simple and alleviates unknowns.

I would then get a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Don't do this after driving it or while the sensor is hot. Remove the harness from the back of the MAF sensor, remove the two security Torx T20 screws and put them someplace safe. pull the sensor straight up and depending on how dirty it is you may see the wire as dark or tinted in color. It should look like solid silver wire. Clean the sensor by spraying it as directed on the can. let air dry, and then reinstall.

After that I would begin testing the purge canister solenoid to make sure its functioning properly. If you dont have a FSM for your vehicle I may be able to PM you the procedures for troubleshooting that.

Once you've verified that, you'll know where you stand. The last thing I would still test is the O2 sensor before the TPS.

Keep us up to date
__________________
12 North Industries
Las Vegas, Nevada 89118
Sales 702.781.0302
Email sales@12degnorth.com

Web www.12degnorth.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 AM
that_one_guy23 that_one_guy23 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Need help diagnosing a couple issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Deg North Industries View Post
First off before you go throwing parts at your truck in order to fix itself lets look at whats going on. All the sensors involved point to an issue with fuel as a common denominator here.

Your TPS sensor will give a code same as the O2 sensor in Bank 1 if the MAF sensor is dirty or is faulty and or if the Purge Solenoid is clogged or bad.

I would replace your fuel filter just because, its likely overdue and for $11 its simple and alleviates unknowns.

I would then get a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Don't do this after driving it or while the sensor is hot. Remove the harness from the back of the MAF sensor, remove the two security Torx T20 screws and put them someplace safe. pull the sensor straight up and depending on how dirty it is you may see the wire as dark or tinted in color. It should look like solid silver wire. Clean the sensor by spraying it as directed on the can. let air dry, and then reinstall.

After that I would begin testing the purge canister solenoid to make sure its functioning properly. If you dont have a FSM for your vehicle I may be able to PM you the procedures for troubleshooting that.

Once you've verified that, you'll know where you stand. The last thing I would still test is the O2 sensor before the TPS.

Keep us up to date
Okay thank you for the advice. It's gonna be a week before I can get to it. I'm actually heading to go fight a wildfire

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 PM
12 Deg North Industries 12 Deg North Industries is offline
Vehicle Upfitters
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
Default Re: Need help diagnosing a couple issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy23 View Post
Okay thank you for the advice. It's gonna be a week before I can get to it. I'm actually heading to go fight a wildfire

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Stay safe and make it back home..
__________________
12 North Industries
Las Vegas, Nevada 89118
Sales 702.781.0302
Email sales@12degnorth.com

Web www.12degnorth.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 PM
that_one_guy23 that_one_guy23 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Need help diagnosing a couple issues

I'm back home. Do you Know if I can upload a video on here??? Also I've replaced a couple parts. So far I've replaced the fuel filter, mass air flow, throttle position sensor, the evap purge canister, and I'll be replacing the purge valve/selonoid
I'll post a video if I can

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,548
Default Re: Need help diagnosing a couple issues

Yes you can, may have to pick up a free account at Imgur or photobucket (yea I know but I never had ANY of my pics go down on any of the 13 forums I'm still on.). If you have a Gmail account you do have a free youtube account. you can upload a video to it, mark it as private, with a link only..
__________________
"The slave is held most securely when he is held by the chains of his own will and of his own fears, and when he is locked down by his own slavish desires for a comfortable life." - Michael Bunker

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html - 12 North Industries
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
duratec need some help diagnosing issues Rycerz 4-Cylinder Tech 3 04-24-2017 08:55 AM
A couple issues!! 2003 Ranger Edge jordon13 Electrical Tech 4 11-23-2013 04:16 PM
Diagnosing my 94 3.0 Coolant and idle issues TheSplash Exterior Tech 3 10-07-2013 02:22 PM
88 needs help diagnosing dangerrange88 2.9 Liter Tech 0 02-14-2012 06:30 PM
Need help diagnosing start up issues winks General Ford Ranger Discussion 18 08-01-2011 06:22 PM