View Single Post

Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Almost ******

Default Re: Which muffler should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
well here are the facts, a muffler will not give you any MPG rise, and neither will a Cold air intake.
once again i find a post where you're giving wrong info.

while companies who advertise intake and exhaust systems will gain you MPG's, they may exaggerate the numbers but do not lie.

the cold air intake will provide a better flowing filter element, as well as a tube to connect the filter to the throttle body. the new tube provided is almost guaranteed smooth on the inside, unlike the stock 3.0's intake (mine for example), that areas that were very far from a smooth surface and created turbulence. this turbulence restricts air flow, something you do not want when trying to get your engine to run at it's most efficient point.

stock exhaust systems are created to provide the least noise possible, and pass emissions. this is a truck, not a ferrari. performance is not in the engineer's minds for this system. since you've got that bitchin intake letting more air into the motor, a bitchin exhaust system will let waste gasses get out faster due to larger exhaust pipe diameters, as well as a better flowing muffler (part of the reason after market mufflers sound better than stock ones).

what does this mean? your engine can run more efficiently. it is not starving for air due to a less restrictive/free-er flowing intake system, and does not have to waste energy trying to force exhaust gasses out of the cylinders. that shows when you fill up the tank. if you're like me, you re-set your trip odometer at fill up and log how many miles you get to a tank. i have a volant intake and a magnaflo 2.5 catback system on my 3.0. i'm pushing 33x12.5 all terrains, mostly freeway driving. before my intake and exhaust, i was getting around 16-17 mpg. with them on, i am getting 18-20. it's not my driving style having been changed, i use cruise control as much as possible.

i know several other people who can attribute gains in MPG from an intake/exhaust system on various trucks/cars. my brother showed 2-3mpg increases from his systems on his mazda 3, and several buddies of mine mentioned similar gains.