View Single Post

Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 AM
OIF Veteran

Default Re: if you were in an emergency, can you help?

the reason i harp on the having a window punch/ hammer is because of an experience i had trying to break a window of a car that was submerged with the hitch out of my buddys truck. a group of us were driving down a rural dirt road that had water on both sides of it late one night and we noticed headlights pointing up towards the road from under the water. the water was still swirling so we knew the car had just gone in. not knowing whether or not anyone was in the car myself and another friend jumped in the water (which couldnt have been more than 45 degrees) to try and see if anyone was in the car and all 4 doors were locked so we knew we had to try and break a window to get in the car. the only thing my friend had in his truck was the hitch draw bar and ball so i grabbed that and jumped in, i kneeled on the roof of the car with water up to my chest and swung that hitch with both hands as hard as possible at the passenger side glass, it took probably 20 swings before the glass finally broke and i was able to get into the car after cutting my arms pretty bad on the glass when the hitch finally went through. thankfully no one was in the car and we found out later from the sheriff that a drunk that had just left the bar lost it and the car went in and he got out just in time and he walked home, he was charged with drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident and reckless endangerment because of the risks that were taken by us to make sure no one was in the car. it was still a valuable lesson learned for all of us and that was to try and be better prepared for situations like that. If you live in a state like michigan that is full of rivers, lakes and large ponds the chances of a situation like this happening is pretty good and its good to be prepared and i cant stress that enough.
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner