View Single Post

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Ford Tough

Default Re: 2.3L problem......another one

When Cold and warm?

If you didn't change the timing, and it started doing this, then it's probably not the timing. That being said, find a friend with a timing light and use it and see roughly where you'rs is at. Mine seems very happy at 10* BEFORE top dead center.

My 83 idles like a BITCH when its' cold. Until temp gauge is in the center (sometimes 20min when its Cold out).

Oil pressures a big concern. If the oil pressure is matching the RPM then it's really not a big issue as long as it HAS oil pressure. 10-15psi isn't horrible at idle, especially if it's stumbling and stalling I'd expect the oil pressure to dip down.
As long as when you hold it at 1500rpms or more it has at least 1/2way up the oil pressure gauge.
What's the lowest RPM you can hold still with your foot on the gas?

Check the EGR valve for cloggage, check the PCV valve (buried between the distributor and the block covered in filth), the PCV valve should operate like a ball/check valve when you shake it, you should see tha ball move.

On my '83 I can unplug the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve and nothing changes in the way the motor runs. So it shouldn't be those. The only other sensor on the block that gives anything to the computer is the distributor connection/cam sensor (meaning timing off).