View Single Post

Old 04-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Science!

Default rough idle, hunting idle under way, assistance requested

Good day everyone!

So I've decided to start a thread on an issue that I have been having and that I plan to fix in the next 4 weeks (before the semester is over.)

Since I got the truck a couple months ago the main issue I have been trying to fix and troubleshoot is the poor idle I have. If I start the truck first thing in the morning and go about my trip to class or work, after about 2 miles of driving (or less sometimes) i have to stop at a light. as i sit at the light the engine has what seems to be a high idle, then it drops down a bit, then it drops even more and sputters and misses and sound like it is going to completely die. It never does and if I give it a little throttle it will even out until i let off and it bogs down again. So far we have checked the MAF, cleaned it and it's good, we have cleaned the throttle body due to coking, cleaned the IAC thru the throttle body, checked the O2 sensor using a oscilloscope and found it reading a bit lean. This was due to an exhaust leak and that has been repaired. The scanner indicates the truck short term fuel trim is 15 - 33% higher depending on load so the truck is actually running rich. I replaced the air filter as well since it needed to be done.

I am looking for a few suggestions on what to look at next. I plan to do a compression test monday in my class and may try and do plugs too. If I find discrepancies in the compression test i'll do a leak down and see what's going on.

Any other suggestions? thanks!

Gone but not forgotten ~ "Ghetto Blue" my 1994 Mazda B2300 5 Speed Standard Cab 4x2.