View Single Post

Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
'09 FX4

Question Help deciphering Ford's wiring codes (stock subwoofer)

I'll be blunt, this is going to be a long-drawn post simply because I've never done this before.

When my truck was originally purchased, the original owner opted to buy the "upgraded" sound system which includes a sub-woofer and a small amp to power said sub under the center console. I've since installed an aftermarket player and I'm trying to figure out how to use the amp and sub-woofer already in place.

My problem is that I'm unable to figure out what wire powers the amp and which ones drive the sub.

Aftermarket dual-DIN player.

This is most likely the connector I need.

This is the factory amplifier. The four solid-colored wires (white, black, red, blue) are the sub-to-amp wires. The large connector goes up behind the dash.

These are the wires found on the connector that exits the amp.

The connector contains the following:
  • Red/Green
  • Red/Green
  • Blue/Black
  • Blue/Black
  • Red/Purple
  • Green/Purple
  • Green/White

With a test light, I've been trying to find what wire turns on the amp with ignition/key. All I've been able to determine is that both Red/Green wires are constant 12v leads. I'm assuming that the Blue/Black wires are grounds.

That leaves:
  • Red/Purple
  • Green/Purple
  • Green/White

Note that these wires also appear on the small connector I referenced to above. I'm assuming that means that two of them are the subwoofer's positive and negative terminals, but I have no idea what to do now to determine which is which.

Any help would be a blessing. Hell, help me finally figure this out and I'll send a couple of bucks your way.

Specs:
Ford Ranger FX4 2009
Pioneer Premium Sound System
Flowmaster Delta 40, KW-AVX810
Audiophile Package, Leather Package, Chrome Package

Last edited by Steelfrog; 04-07-2011 at 05:02 AM.