View Single Post

Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Default How To: Fuel Filter replacment on 2001-2011 Ranger

This will show how to change the fuel filter on a 2001-2011 Ford Ranger with the plastic quick connect lines.

FordRangerForum.com and Myself are not responsible for anything that is broken.

Tools:
1 Rag
Pliers or fuse puller
Safety Glasses

You will need to purchase a fuel filter I choose to go with a MotorCraft one.
FG-1061 Fits the following
2001-2003 All Engines

FG-1036 fits the following
2004 -2011 All Engines

Step 1:
Locate fuel pump fuse located in the distribution box under the hood.
Refer to your owners manual for the correct fuse to pull. No owners manual CLICK HERE

Step 2:
Remove the fuse. Use a pair of pliers or a fuse puller to remove the fuse.

Step 3:
Get in the truck and start the truck. It will slowly die from no fuel. I reccomend to let the truck sit for 3 hours or more. I let me sit over night before changing the filter.

Step 4:
Location of the fuel filter is on the driver side frame rail right in the middle of the driver door.

Step 5:
Removing the fuel filter. There is one line with a green tab on the front side.
On the back side there are two lines. One has a green tab and one has a orange tab. If you break the connection point you will have to replace the WHOLE line. they are 200+ dollars from ford. You cant just replace the connector.

Dont worry about putting the lines on backwards. The filter has two different size nipples and only one line will fit on there.

Video showing how to remove the filter.

Step 6:
Installing new filter. It is pretty simple just put the lines on the nipples and press them in once they click they are on.

Step 7:
With the rag wipe off any fuel that came out

Step 8:
Put the fuse back into the spot you removed it from.
Now start the truck up. It will take it about 3-5 seconds to start. It has to get the fuel going again.

Last edited by STL; 07-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.