View Single Post

Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Yes, the blower relay is listed as #9 in the 99 underhood box. There is a map of the box in the Roadside Emergencies section of the owners manual.

It's also a good idea to check the blower ground to see if it's loose/broken/corroded. The ground is bolted down under the hood on the driver side inner fender about halfway back and is a known problem area.
Thank you for your information... I just picked up a new speed switch and will replace it after work today... I talked with a wrench and was told that the normal succession of the operation is to:
1 Check the fuse. Replace if needed...
2 Check the resistor. Replace if rusted or showing heat damage.
[Replaced $22.00]
3 Check the motor. Replace it if it is hard to turn by hand or does not spin freely.
[Replaced $48.00]
4 Check the speed selector switch. Replace it if the switch turns too easily as the internal mechanism is worn after 11 years of use.
[Replaced $ 17.00]
EDIT: Replaced Relay #9 in the box on the left fender well $15.00... Total cost $102.00, a bruised knuckle and 1 Band-aid.

He also stated that the motor normally begins to go bad which causes excess heat in the speed switch and burns out the switch.

I will check the manual as you stated and I expect that I will find a relay there. I will NOT be surprised to find that the FOMOCO Parts man did not know this... When I asked about a relay... He said "There is none listed for that vehicle". The SAGA continues...

Thanks again to all who answered,

UPDATE: I replaced the speed switch and... well the motor did NOT spin. But, Thanks to the post by rwenzing, I did find the relay as he said... I took it out and checked the contacts and found everything to be clean, put it back in and tried the switch again and still no motor... I got aggravated and smacked the relay with a screw driver and the motor started turning. Sooooo, I am off to buy a relay that the FOMOCO Parts man did not know anything about for that vehicle...

FIXED: Replaced the relay and Hoooooooray... I have a working heater/AC blower. FYI, The reason that the FOMOCO Parts man did not know of a "heater motor" relay is that it is listed as a "HVAC" Relay in the book.

Last edited by RoadDawg; 12-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.