View Single Post

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Ford Tough

Default Re: what should i go to school for?

You could go in to the Navy and become a mechanic, pipefitter, steamfitter, boiler maker, etc.
Learn to solder, braze, weld, thread pipe, hydronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, heating, cooling, refrigeration, torch cutting, etc.
Learn how to service, repair, rebuild pumps, chillers, heaters, AC units, etc.
Learn how to design, layout, fabricate and install piping and/or tubing systems.

I am a Steamfitter - we do it all.
I have worked in paper mills, food production plants, a high pressure chemical treatment facility (vessel pressures exceeding 60,000 lbs), office buildings, schools, manufacturing and production plants, etc.
Right now I am working at IDT in Hillsboro, OR. We are installing a reactor and all of the supporting equipment. I've been designing, laying out, bending, installing and orbital welding stainless steel tubing for two months. Prior to this, I was at LinearTech in Camas, WA. doing similar work.
We also get to design, fabricate and install piping supports and hangers - angle iron, square tube steel, I beams, etc.
We get to rig for crane lifts and operate boom trucks.
Every job is different - every pipe or tube is different - every crew is different - every job site is different - every shop is different -
I love what I do.
Alpine Head Unit with some Infinity Noisy Stuff
NW Oregon